Mychal Givens 2023

Going Underground

2 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Stuff+ sees the raw pitch attributes okay, and the Location these first few innings terrible, which I guess fits with knocking off rust possibility.     He'll get some more innings to improve, but Elias already showed a quick hook with Irvin.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=pit&lg=all&qual=0&type=36&season=2023&month=0&season1=2023&ind=0&team=2&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&startdate=2023-01-01&enddate=2023-12-31&sort=12,d

The Baumann fastball is trending up.    His readout basically 90th percentile for all MLB pitchers YTD.

Irvin could be sent down, that isn't an option with Givens.  Don't think he's a great comp.

8 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

He looks soft.  Maybe he is at the starting phase of done?  It happens.  Some guys just fall off the table.  

He definitely isn’t soft it looks like he just hasn’t got that strength in his knee back and probably is trying to pitch through it.  I think you IL him and see if you can build the knee back up.  Maybe he rushed back to early.

We have guys like Nick Vespi, Pheonix Sanders, Eduard Bazardo, and Darwinzon Hernandez that are earning a look at Norfolk.

Best thing they can do now is put Givens back on the IL if he's not himself. Maybe even call up a starter like Cole Irvin.

It's quite depressing when you think about it. We signed Givens to cover for Tate. Well, Givens went on the IL too, and Tate ended up being out way longer than expected. So it was a wasted attempt at depth. It just didn't work out.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I like Givens but I was worried when we picked him up this off-season that he was at the end of his line. 

A lot of us remember him being a good shutdown middle reliever while he was here and I think we wrongly assumed he’d still be that guy. 

He hasn’t been impressive. 

Yup.   He looks "done" to me.   When he was younger he would be 96-97, but he's lost 3-4 MPH on his fastball, and his command seems to have disappeared.

10 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I like Givens but I was worried when we picked him up this off-season that he was at the end of his line. 

A lot of us remember him being a good shutdown middle reliever while he was here and I think we wrongly assumed he’d still be that guy. 

He hasn’t been impressive. 

2017 saw sort of the height of his time here and maybe his best of what he had overall.  That's been 7 years and a couple injuries.  We have good memories, but despite his being solid until this year, it feels like he wasn't much more than a place keeper for somebody behind him anyway.  But, while I hate to admit it, CoC is probably right that they don't just cut him with the money spent.  IL first and wait and see.

• Upvote 1

The Mets left him off their playoff roster, and yet Elias still signed him. Didn't make sense then and how he has pitched or not pitched was completely predictable. Chris Bassit will be pitching in the playoffs for Toronto, while Givens, Irwin and Frazier who cost the O's more $$$ will be watching.