Mychal Givens 2023

Going Underground

9 hours ago, SemperFi said:

I think we are off topic but the average adult is not a professional athletes in their early 30's. 

Heart disease is the #1 cause for death, obesity is linked to heart disease....and if you think the AMA/NIH is not "very concerned" with a third of adults (consumers)..... 

It is a bad sign that our top free agent bullpen addition has us musing about obesity and heart disease on June 1st, right?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mr-splash said:

Givens is rich. Like Marvin Hagler said, "It's hard to get up at 5am to do roadwork when you're sleeping in silk pajamas." He did it anyways. 

Typically I dont care too much about a players conditioning unless they play SS or 2B. Its baseball, they're hardly the worlds greatest athletes. That said, I think even baseball has some conditioning requirements otherwise you're performance will suffer. Hes just eating way too much food.

Hardly the worlds greatest athletes?  All of them, Givens included are way beyond an athletic level the every day person could understand.  I’ve been lucky enough to see ex independent ball players whose athleticism is way beyond what most of us can do.   Explosiveness, throwing ability, quick twitch movements that seem impossible.   And they didn’t even make milb.   

Sorry, slight rant, but drives me nuts when anyone calls one of the 800 best baseball players less than supremely athletic.   

Givens doesn’t look good for whatever reason for sure.  

• Upvote 1

Don’t know why but I’ve never been a big fan of Givens. Yes he had a few good years for us back in the day when we sucked. He was really our only consistent reliever for a couple years. Yes he’s strikes out a good number of hitters. He has good movement on his pitches but also walks a lot. Not sure he should be thrusted into the setup role behind Cano. I think Baker should be that guy if he doesn’t get over used. 

8 hours ago, murph said:

Hardly the worlds greatest athletes?  All of them, Givens included are way beyond an athletic level the every day person could understand.  I’ve been lucky enough to see ex independent ball players whose athleticism is way beyond what most of us can do.   Explosiveness, throwing ability, quick twitch movements that seem impossible.   And they didn’t even make milb.   

Sorry, slight rant, but drives me nuts when anyone calls one of the 800 best baseball players less than supremely athletic.   

Givens doesn’t look good for whatever reason for sure.  

No

I like how proactive they have been this year, especially in regards to Irvin and Givens.  Hopefully, we get something from both of them as the year goes on, but neither of them got much rope.

Whatever Givens' issues may be, he clearly wasn't capable of pitching well with that performance.

8 hours ago, Spy Fox said:

Right shoulder inflammation it is!

Oooooh. Didn't expect that recall. I'm excited to see it! Bruce has been grinding it out a long time in Norfolk. He started the season looking good, and he started 2022 looking good against Major League talent. Can he peform in June 2023 the way that he performed in April 2022? I hope so. I'm here to see it! I like the idea of left handed starters. Because we have none in the rotation and I want to see 2 good ones sprinkled in.

I've got my popcorn, and I'm looking forward to seeing what Bruce Zimmerman can do!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...