Adley Rutschman 2023

SilverRocket

How many WAR will Adley Rutschman get in 2023?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. How many WAR will Adley Rutschman get in 2023?

2 minutes ago, SilverRocket said:

Did you see Bautista's second inning vs the Jays on Saturday where he threw 100% fastballs? Did you see his last two batters today? He can get away with all fastballs when it's on, and it was. His splitters were not hitting their location today.

Now I don't have a problem with calling for those splitters vs Torres there because he just pulled a 99mph pitch foul. He was cheating on the fastball, and that's a reasonable spot to use the splitter to disrupt timing. Bautista could get away with missing spots there. That was not the situation with Judge who didn't look like he was catching up to the heater.

It's on Bautista not to hang splitters.  They need to be thrown  occasionally, even just to keep the hitter honest.  He's up 0-2 there.  You cannot throw a strike there.

24 minutes ago, Pickles said:

It's on Bautista not to hang splitters.  They need to be thrown  occasionally, even just to keep the hitter honest.  He's up 0-2 there.  You cannot throw a strike there.

I mean, he didn't mean to hang it. But it's an inherent risk when you're throwing a ball that relies on getting that spin out of your hand. It can fail in a way that a 101 MPH fastballs can't.

My conclusion from that is you don't risk a splitter 0-2 with Aaron Judge representing the tying run almost regardless as to who the pitcher is.

His bat has been pretty disappointing this season imo.  He still walks a bunch and can take a walk but his average has not been that great and not really driven the ball much the last month or so.  I expected to see lot more doubles and hits up the gap.  

3 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

There's really not a whole lot of protection around him at the moment. Hopefully Santander gets going and I believe Adley will follow.

Santander had a .985 OPS for the month entering tonight, drove a big run in last night and had 3 hits tonight.  I’d say he’s setting a pretty good example already.   Rutschman is a great player overall.   He’s a good hitter but he’s not a great hitter.   

Complaining about our potentially gold glove, and currently .806 OPS hitting catcher with the team 16 games over .500 is well…..so surreal.   10 minutes ago we were watching Pedro Severino watch pitches fly past him and losing 100 games a year.   Not dissenting anyone’s opinion, just saying I am so much enjoying this ride!  

Edited by murph

Rutschman is mind if like Manny was. Great all around player, good hitter but not a great hitter.  Which is a big reason why it’s relatively foolish for him to turn down a huge deal now because he won’t be able to command those huge dollars at age 30.

22 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Santander had a .985 OPS for the month entering tonight, drove a big run in last night and had 3 hits tonight.  I’d say he’s setting a pretty good example already.   Rutschman is a great player overall.   He’s a good hitter but he’s not a great hitter.   

Good info...I didn't realize how well Santander has been doing this month.

25 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Yet.