Adley Rutschman 2023

SilverRocket

How many WAR will Adley Rutschman get in 2023?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. How many WAR will Adley Rutschman get in 2023?

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

He was a 5+ WAR guy last year in 70% of the season.  He was on a 6.5-7 WAR pace as a rookie.

So no, my expectations weren’t too high. My expectations were for him to build on what he did in as a rookie and that was the expectation of basically every person who watched him play last year.

I think some of us understand about how variance exists from one season to another.

• Upvote 1

The shoulder injury of 2022 took almost 2 months off the defensive workload.    Now is the first season discovering how he will fatigue in more or less than same way as it is what happens if Grayson Rodriguez throws 140 innings, or Kyle Bradish qualifies for the ERA title?

Catchers joints perhaps get 2nd place to pitcher's arms in what gets attrited.

The deployment story for '23 Rutschman is already written - he has more plate appearances than Vladimir Guerrero while mostly catching.

5 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

He's just a good player
At 1-1 we could have had a superstar, multiple players in the 2019 draft will greatly eclipse Rutschman's career WAR

This is a dumb argument. Of course the odds are great that players taken after him will eclipse his career WAR - there are hundreds of players taken after him.

None would have had the immediate impact on the franchise/rebuild that he has had, which was needed more than what a guy will do in '25 and '26.

How about you find a team that combines more WAR from the 2019 draft w/ their first two picks than Adley & Gunnar?

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

People dumping on a 2nd year catcher who's looked at as a future franchise cornerstone are hilarious to me.

In this poll, you projected him to have a WAR over 8. He may not get to 4. If you say you aren’t disappointed by the year he is having, you are a liar.

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Glad to hear it

Makes me question your "basically every person" bit.

I would think, that if you were correct, that'd I'd be seeing articles about how he's been a disappointment.

Or is it just me and all the folks that work at those publications that don't agree with you?

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

People dumping on a 2nd year catcher who's looked at as a future franchise cornerstone are hilarious to me.

I don't think anyone is dumping on him. He has not met the pre-season expectations of several folks on this board. Me included. He's a very good player. He's an extremely important member of the core moving forward. But 2023 is a bit of a disappointment both offensively and defensively. We wanted Buster Posey and we got Jason Varitek. 

Just now, Jim'sKid26 said:

I don't think anyone is dumping on him. He has not met the pre-season expectations of several folks on this board. Me included. He's a very good player. He's an extremely important member of the core moving forward. But 2023 is a bit of a disappointment both offensively and defensively. We wanted Buster Posey and we got Jason Varitek. 

Moose doesn’t understand the differences here. You have to speak slower for him.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Peak Varitek, which isn't anything to sneeze at.

• Upvote 1