Umpire Scorecard Thread

Can_of_corn

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

We know that the strike zone gets larger with a 3-0 count and shrinks with an 0-2 count.  I wonder if called strikes/balls calls are similarly impacted by lopsided scores?

I think so, especially late in the game.  And those calls usually go to the pitchers since the umps just want to get the game over with.  

In the bottom of the 6th last night, man on first base nobody out, Anthony Rizzo was called out on strikes (5) on a pitch that was painted on the outside corner, top of the zone. Cameras immediately captured Aaron Boone screaming at the umpire over his strike out call. Only seconds later the very first pitch (1) to Anthony Volpe is called a ball even though it is clearly a strike. The pitch from Webb to Volpe was a sweeper that started out on the inside part of the strike zone and ended up near the outside corner, and was in the zone the entire time. Both McCann and Webb visibly reacted to the egregious call, and the umpire indicated to them that the pitch was outside even though it wasn't. 

You cannot tell me the umpire's bad call to start the Volpe AB wasn't influenced by the pressure he was getting from Boone over the previous (correct) call that ended the Rizzo AB. 

rizzo.pngvolpe.png