Best thing the Orioles can do is trade Kyle Stowers

Tony-OH

6 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Not all errors are equivalent. That one was a bad one. 

No..that’s why I said most. His error wasn’t really different from Mountcastle. You see OFers overrun balls all the time. That’s trying to do one thing before another thing is done.

Errors are plays that MLers should make but turn them into poor plays. That’s what he did and that’s what most do.

Sometimes there are “tough errors” And those are on a different tier but most are like what we saw from Stowers tonight. It’s not any kind of indictment on him or anyone else unless it becomes a real pattern over a real period of time.

10 hours ago, AnythingO's said:

And the reason he didn't get the run he should have had after he went down and got hot was Hyde. Playing him sporadically, playing him out of position in LF. It is hard enough for OF to adjust to stadiums with second decks without regular PT and ABs. Hyde is handling Stowers like he expects him to fail so use him whenever. Look, IDK if Stowers is a MLB regular, but I believe Hyde's usage is hurting his development and the org's evaluation of Stowers value as a prospect and trade chip.

Ryan McKenna has played 97 games in LF, 65 in RF, 44 in CF and has never had regular PT or AB’s. This is what happens when you are a fringe prospect. You need to take advantage of the opportunities you are given.

53 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Ryan McKenna has played 97 games in LF, 65 in RF, 44 in CF and has never had regular PT or AB’s. This is what happens when you are a fringe prospect. You need to take advantage of the opportunities you are given.

Good news is that Stowers isn’t a fringe prospect.

10 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

Actually, you could see on the replay he brought up his head to check the runner before he had caught it. Just took his eye off it.

The root of all errors & poor contact…..taking your eye off the ball. Plain and simple.  Details details details details.  

11 hours ago, Pickles said:

Anybody have video?  I missed the play in question.

IMO it wasn't as bad as Braves game throw-which was lazy.  His fundamentals were good, he circled then fielded the ball to the side to aid in the transfer to his throwing arm but then inexplicably looks at the runner rounding first.  The problem is he fundamentally committed to throwing to second by fielding to his side then doesn't watch the ball into into his glove.  What I really didn't like was locating the runner then having to locate second for the throw (he had no intent of throwing behind him), that's a cardinal sin for an outfielder.

Edited by SemperFi
spelling

9 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

How are we defining fringe prospect here?

I wonder if anyone here would care as much about Stowers if he had been brought into the organization a class or two later.  If he was lumped in with the top 100 guys in Norfolk right now I think he would be considered more of a fringe guy.  I don't think he was on any top 100 lists if I remember correctly.  I hope he works out but with Cowser coming and Kjerstad behind him I think it will be tough to do it here.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

To me a fringe prospect is someone who has a shot to be more than organizational filler.  I would call Stowers a fringe major leaguer.

I think that's a fair assessment.

12 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Then basically the same category as McKenna.

I think McKenna provides better value as a 4th outfielder than Stowers appears to.  McKenna comes in late games as a defensive replacement, and I don't see Stowers being able to be considered the same way.   McKenna can hit lefties (I know, I know, Stowers can too, allegedly), .794 OPS last year against them, .892 so far against them this year.  I certainly don't see Stowers as much of a hitter...granted, yes, of course, it's been a small sample size.  But I don't see how he's necessarily better than McKenna at anything except power potential.

Stowers also suffers because there's immediately proven MLers ahead of him (Hays, Santander) and better prospects behind him (Cowser, Kjerstad).  I'm well aware that his opportunity is slim but he hasn't really done anything at the ML level to seize his chance and have Elias make a hard decision.

I hope Stowers makes it with us or get's a chance somewhere else. But how much longer do we have to see him or Varva or O'Hearn take up a spot that should be for Cowser?

I'm exciting to see Cowser add to the offense and defense of this team. Of course it will take some time for him to adjust, but Stowers and Varva have given us next to nothing.

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think that's a fair assessment.

I think McKenna provides better value as a 4th outfielder than Stowers appears to.  McKenna comes in late games as a defensive replacement, and I don't see Stowers being able to be considered the same way.   McKenna can hit lefties (I know, I know, Stowers can too, allegedly), .794 OPS last year against them, .892 so far against them this year.  I certainly don't see Stowers as much of a hitter...granted, yes, of course, it's been a small sample size.  But I don't see how he's necessarily better than McKenna at anything except power potential.

Stowers also suffers because there's immediately proven MLers ahead of him (Hays, Santander) and better prospects behind him (Cowser, Kjerstad).  I'm well aware that his opportunity is slim but he hasn't really done anything at the ML level to seize his chance and have Elias make a hard decision.

Given the reality of what you stated in the bold, I don't see a place for him here. He's really just taking up a spot that could be filled by a better/more talented player. 

I hope he get's his shot. But it just seems like logic dictates that it would probably be prudent that it be somewhere else. 

• Upvote 1