DL Hall 2023

justD

3 hours ago, panick said:

Hyde probably told him to keep the ball when Hall tried giving it to him!

And then he tried to give it away again, awkwardly stuffing it in Adley's glove as Rutschman was about to leave the mound. Adley had to toss it back to him. Weirdest antics I've seen, but hey, he's a youngster who managed to stay pumped in a good way. 

BTW, these last two biggest games of the year, in September, won by Rodriguez and Hall... just like we drew it up back in April, right? :)

Edited by now
  • Upvote 1

On 9/5/2023 at 8:56 AM, Tony-OH said:

This is the role that's best suited for him and he's shining in it. I truly think he'll be a real weapon by the playoffs.

Getting a very Andrew Miller career arc type trajectory out of DL Hall. Sketchy as a starter, but then a real multi-inning relief threat.

5 hours ago, Ridgway22 said:

Getting a very Andrew Miller career arc type trajectory out of DL Hall. Sketchy as a starter, but then a real multi-inning relief threat.

I think Miller is a very good comp for Hall. I know people want to have him go back to starter, but sometimes you just have to realize what's the best role for someone. 

8 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Andrew Miller had the fastball and a wipeout slider.  I just don’t see that second elite pitch from Hall to see that comparison.   Yet.

100% Miller's slider was better than Hall's, but Hall has a changeup (40% whiff rate) and will even toss up a curveball here and there. On top of it, Miller's fastball while hard was never an overly effective pitch and didn't miss bats as much as Hall's does. He mostly lived off his 80 grade slider while Hall has a few more weapons to throw up there. 

Miller also had 359.1 of mostly ineffective starter's innings under his belt until he was converted to a reliever in his age 27 season by the Red Sox. Hall is still only 26.2 innings into his major league career.

So while Hall may never have an 80 grade pitch, he misses bats with his changeup and fastball and if he can limit mistakes and improve the slider, I can see him as a great late inning leverage guy.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

100% Miller's slider was better than Hall's, but Hall has a changeup (40% whiff rate) and will even toss up a curveball here and there. On top of it, Miller's fastball while hard was never an overly effective pitch and didn't miss bats as much as Hall's does. He mostly lived off his 80 grade slider while Hall has a few more weapons to throw up there. 

Miller also had 359.1 of mostly ineffective starter's innings under his belt until he was converted to a reliever in his age 27 season by the Red Sox. Hall is still only 26.2 innings into his major league career.

So while Hall may never have an 80 grade pitch, he misses bats with his changeup and fastball and if he can limit mistakes and improve the slider, I can see him as a great late inning leverage guy.

Gotcha.  I’ll settle for the current version of Tanner Scott.  The light bulb went on this year.

12 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Miller had a relatively short window of dominance.

2006-12: 5.54 ERA

2013-17: 1.82 ERA 

2018-21: 4.24 ERA

Happy 25th birthday, DL, and also Seth Johnson, both 9.19.1998 newborns.      Both will be closer to 26 than 25 by next Opening Day.

I think DL is a single inning guy these few weeks, but will be interested to see in 2024 if the deployment pattern paces him towards 80-90 rather than 50-60 innings.

In Hall, McDermott, Povich and Johnson, there might be 200 or 300 next year innings in a good group scenario.

I wonder if Elias veteranosity taste might be satisfied by Means/Bradish/Kremer for '24.      I have Wells as the year opening SP5 assuming the lead four come out of this postseason okay, but in 2024 there may be opportunity to pivot him earlier in the calendar, as this year it is looking like no juice is coming back to his Arm following the strong 1st half work.

• Upvote 1

He looked very good today and he’s only had one bad inning since coming back up.

I wonder if they stretch him out come springtime. His CH and slider look better to me and he’s improved command. 

I’m fine with him in the bullpen, but I do think he could still be a starter. He certainly looks better like a better option than either Lopez or Fujinami for the last week. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Il BuonO said:

He looked very good today and he’s only had one bad inning since coming back up.

I wonder if they stretch him out come springtime. His CH and slider look better to me and he’s improved command. 

I’m fine with him in the bullpen, but I do think he could still be a starter. He certainly looks better like a better option than either Lopez or Fujinami for the last week. 

I think they're going to give him a real shot to fail as a starter next year. I don't mean he's going to fail, but I think they plan to keep him as a starter.

Edited by Malike
  • Upvote 2

Just now, Malike said:

I think they're going to give him a real shot to fail as a starter next year. I don't mean he's going to fail, but I think they plan to keep him as a starter.

I know exactly what you mean and I agree. It’s his job to lose and if it doesn’t work it looks like he can be of value in the bullpen.

• Upvote 1