Anthony Santander 2023

interloper

1 minute ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Again, not a single one of them is a SWITCH HITTER. Therefor, they do not qualify as the best switch hitter we've had since Eddie Murray.

You did say that, and I mentioned that you did.

My question is why does that make a difference?

How is a switch hitter better than someone who doesn't switch hit but puts up similar numbers?  Not everyone has pronounced platoon splits.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You did say that, and I mentioned that you did.

My question is why does that make a difference?

How is a switch hitter better than someone who doesn't switch hit but puts up similar numbers?  Not everyone has pronounced platoon splits.

Yes, thank you. I'll try to answer my point of view...

Switch hitting can be a very valuable tool to a manager. It offers more flexibility with matchups vs certain pitchers, as well as more flexibility with the lineup. Players that are good from both sides of the plate can offer an advantage. In Santander and Murray's case, their ability to drive in runs from both sides of the plate in crucial situations has translated to wins. I also believe that any player who is more likely to be able to score with just one swing, is more valuable than a player who doesn't as much. Home runs are game changing. The entire objective of the game is to score more runs than the opponent, and every lineup needs a great power hitter to get them RBIs. If he can consistently do that from both sides and get an advantage on the pitcher... =Difference maker.

2 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Yes, thank you. I'll try to answer my point of view...

Switch hitting can be a very valuable tool to a manager. It offers more flexibility with matchups vs certain pitchers, as well as more flexibility with the lineup. Players that are good from both sides of the plate can offer an advantage. In Santander and Murray's case, their ability to drive in runs from both sides of the plate in crucial situations has translated to wins. I also believe that any player who is more likely to be able to score with just one swing, is more valuable than a player who doesn't as much. Home runs are game changing. The entire objective of the game is to score more runs than the opponent, and every lineup needs a great power hitter to get them RBIs. If he can consistently do that from both sides and get an advantage on the pitcher... =Difference maker.

I still don't get it.

If you have a quality RH hitter without platoon splits how is it worse?

Mullins is better since he stopped switch hitting.

Not many of the really great hitters switch hit.  It's not needed.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I still don't get it.

If you have a quality RH hitter without platoon splits how is it worse?

Mullins is better since he stopped switch hitting.

Not many of the really great hitters switch hit.  It's not needed.

This is a case special to Camden, but I think that unless you have someone with Bonds or McGwire level power, you want a lefty without platoon splits because of how unfriendly it is to RHB.  But it's pretty hard to find lefties without platoon splits.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Unless someone else did something, I believe you are inaccurately describing an exchange we had when you said, back on July 10, that Santander was “on pace” for 100 RBI.  I pointed out that he wasn’t.   He was on pace for 91 at the time.  You then said you weren’t talking mathematically but that you thought he’d accelerate to get to 100 RBI.  I said I thought the odds were against him but I hoped you were right.  Nobody “flashed a lot of stats” at you.  Nobody said Santander “couldn’t possibly” get to 100 RBI.   In fact, I said it was “definitely possible.”   That whole exchange starts here and continues onto the next page.  

Fast forward to today.  Santander has 79 RBI in 133 games.  That’s a 96 RBI pace. He’ll need 21 RBI in the final 29 games to get to 100.   To me the situation is pretty much unchanged: it’s definitely possible, but not likely.  And I still hope you’re right and that he does get to 100 RBI.  That can only be good to the Orioles.  

The difference between 96 and a hundred is negligible wouldn't you say?  I think whether he makes it depends on his playing time.  

7 hours ago, Baltimorecuse said:

The difference between 96 and a hundred is negligible wouldn't you say?  I think whether he makes it depends on his playing time.  

If he ends the year with 96 RBI, I’ll say he had an excellent season.  To this point, I’d call this the best year of his career.  Hopefully, he has a strong September.

7 hours ago, Baltimorecuse said:

No it isn't.   You can't put someone who hits 59 home runs in the 60 home run club just because they were close.   59 would be awesome,  but not quite there.   Same with 96 RBI.  Great number and great season... but doesn't put him in the 100 RBI club.  A guy whose highest average is .299 has never been a .300 hitter.  I understand what you are saying,  but no, the differences aren't just negligible.

That said,  Santander is having a great season,  even if he doesn't hit some milestones. 

Edited by forphase1

9 hours ago, Hallas said:

This is a case special to Camden, but I think that unless you have someone with Bonds or McGwire level power, you want a lefty without platoon splits because of how unfriendly it is to RHB.  But it's pretty hard to find lefties without platoon splits.

We don't have a ton of data yet but I don't think the effect is that pronounced.  How many dead pull right handed hitters are out there?

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

We don't have a ton of data yet but I don't think the effect is that pronounced.  How many dead pull right handed hitters are out there?

What do you consider a dead pull hitter?  Median for a RH hitter is 40% pull.  Only 4 of 77 qualifiers are above 50%.   Median for lefties is 39%z. 3 of 42 qualifiers  are over 50%.   

Now, if you scale back the PA requirements, you see a few more outliers and the median goes up a little.  At 100 PA, the RH median is 41% and 24 of 245 are above 50%.   The LH median is 40% and 10 of 142 are above 50%.  DJ Stewart is by far the most pull-happy guy on either list, at 67.8%.   He’s the only player over 60%.   

None of the O’s hitters are crazy pull hitters.  Westburg is the highest RH guy at 43.7%; Mountcastle is lowest at 30.2%.   Mullins is at 47.8% from the LH side, the others are all in the 39-40% range.  Among our switch hitters, both Hicks (47.0%) and Santander (46.5%) are pull-oriented.  I don’t know if their pull percentages vary depending on whether they are batting lefty or righty.  Adley is slightly below median (38.8%) on pulling.