Jorge Mateo 2023

Frobby

Given Ortiz was the option if Urias had to go on the IL when he was out, I think Ortiz is the option here again for Mateo unless we somehow learn that the injury is far worse than we expect. I thought Westburg was ahead of Ortiz, but appears the 40-man spot gives Ortiz the edge and I don't think they do anything to knock someone else off the 40 unless it's a worse injury than we expect. Also, given Ortiz is the better defender at SS, I think that helps the case for Ortiz to replace Mateo on the roster. 

Given how Mateo is playing right now, however, I hope it's just a minor thing and the day off today helps him. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Would he play every day?   Or would they put Henderson at SS with Frazier and Urias at 2B and 3B, with Ortiz there as the backup and getting maybe a couple of starts?  That’s what I’d bet on.  

Yeah, I agree. Highly doubt he would start every day. 

Edited by interloper

Just now, Mooreisbetter27 said:

I believe 3 of the next 4 are against left handed pitchers.  So you'd think they'd make the decision whether to bring up Ortiz soon.  Will be interesting to see if he plays tonight against Rochester. 

I do think Ortiz could draw a start or two vs lefties with Gunnar or Frazier getting a day off. That would be exciting. 

Given that the IL is still 10-days for position players and there are legitimate options at AAA in Ortiz and Norby, I would hope that he goes on the IL if he is going to miss more than a day. 

Hate playing with a short bench when there are good options at AAA and would rather have Mateo take 10 days and be fully good to go rather than 3-4 days and have it potentially linger.

35 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Given that the IL is still 10-days for position players and there are legitimate options at AAA in Ortiz and Norby, I would hope that he goes on the IL if he is going to miss more than a day. 

Hate playing with a short bench when there are good options at AAA and would rather have Mateo take 10 days and be fully good to go rather than 3-4 days and have it potentially linger.

With the way Mateo has been playing he's too important to rush back. 

1 hour ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

I believe 3 of the next 4 are against left handed pitchers.  So you'd think they'd make the decision whether to bring up Ortiz soon.  Will be interesting to see if he plays tonight against Rochester. 

Norfolk actually plays this afternoon, Ortiz is in fact in the lineup.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Would he play every day?   Or would they put Henderson at SS with Frazier and Urias at 2B and 3B, with Ortiz there as the backup and getting maybe a couple of starts?  That’s what I’d bet on.  

I think you're probably right but boy would that be frustrating.  He's at 166 PA at AAA with a .398 OBP and a .950 OPS.  And by all accounts an excellent fielder.  When he comes up there's no reason to give him the Stowers treatment.  Of course there also wasn't reason to give Stowers the Stowers treatment.

• Upvote 1

Let’s just assume that Ortiz plays 75% of the time and plays at a high level.

Does he Wally Pipp Mateo?

For me, as much as I want Ortiz here and wanted that from day 1, you made the decision to stay with Mateo and he has been fantastic to start the year.

I don’t think Mateo should lose his spot due to a short term injury. He may lose it due to performance but I don’t think he should lose it for an injury, unless of course it turns into some serious thing.

Edited by Sports Guy

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Let’s just assume that Ortiz plays 75% of the time and plays at a high level.

Does he Wally Pipp Mateo?

For me, as much as I want Ortiz here and wanted that from day 1, you made the decision to stay with Mateo and he has been fantastic to start the year.

I don’t think Mateo should lose his spot due to a short term injury. He may lose it due to performance but I don’t think he should lose it for an injury, unless of course it turns into some serious thing.

I don't think there's any chance he Wally Pipp's Mateo.  They love Mateo and he's rewarded them for that early on.

Ideally for me, he comes up, plays really well, and steals 2B from Frazier.  But given past behavior from the club I don't see that happening either.

Edited by glenn__davis