Creed Willems 2023

Frobby

6 hours ago, yark14 said:

Elias can't violate the Best Friends Clause in their contracts.

Ask literally any professional athlete and they'll tell you chemistry/camaraderie matters. And it certainly can't hurt that guys feel bonded to a team/organization when it comes time for them to decide whether they want to re-sign.

One of the numerous reasons why I would be hesitant to start selling off players who have grown up in this organization for mercenary rentals.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Alasdaire said:

Ask literally any professional athlete and they'll tell you chemistry/camaraderie matters. And it certainly can't hurt that guys feel bonded to a team/organization when it comes time for them to decide whether they want to re-sign.

One of the numerous reasons why I would be hesitant to start selling off players who have grown up in this organization for mercenary rentals.

We will eventually have to sell some of them though. Even if you just look at Henderson, Westburg, Ortiz and Norby. Will Holliday on the way too at least one of those guys will need to be moved.

2 hours ago, Alasdaire said:

Despite my joke, I understand and agree with what you are saying.  Chemistry matters a lot, but also tough decisions have to be made as well.

Anyways, back to Creed...he seems like the type of guy that step into any clubhouse and lift the mood.

• 4 weeks later...

Creed has really tailed off since his promotion to ABD and a pretty good start there. His AVG is creeping toward the Mendoza line and OPS is now in the 600s. He was out of the lineup today. 

I know he’s had a couple of injuries this year, including the shoulder in July.  I hope he’s not hurt and just trying to play through it. If so, could explain why his numbers are dropping. 

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, emmett16 said:

Creed is STRUGGLING.  in 86 PAs throughout August so far he is .129 / .244 / .200.  Hope he can pick it up and end on a high note going into 2024.  He was a bright spot for the development team earlier in the year. 

It's hard to know if it's the long season that has worn him down or the injuries or a combination of both. We know that Aberdeen can be a hard place to hit, but yeah, the lack of improvement throughout his time does spark a little concern. 

I wonder if that shoulder injury in July has bothered him more than we think for someone allowed to play? Since being removed on that game on July 16th, he's slashed .143/.225/.196/.421 with only 1 HR and 3 2B in 129 PAs with 9 BBs to 38 Ks. 

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

It's hard to know if it's the long season that has worn him down or the injuries or a combination of both. We know that Aberdeen can be a hard place to hit, but yeah, the lack of improvement throughout his time does spark a little concern. 

I wonder if that shoulder injury in July has bothered him more than we think for someone allowed to play? Since being removed on that game on July 16th, he's slashed .143/.225/.196/.421 with only 1 HR and 3 2B in 129 PAs with 9 BBs to 38 Ks. 

I don't like to make excuses for guys, but that was my first thought as well.  All it takes is a little discomfort for a guy to slightly change his swing mechanics to compensate for the discomfort.   That can completely throw a guy off.  I'd like to think the coaching staff & trainers would be all over that, but you never know.  Regardless, he hasn't looked good for a while now.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/27/2023 at 4:25 PM, emmett16 said:

Creed is STRUGGLING.  in 86 PAs throughout August so far he is .129 / .244 / .200.  Hope he can pick it up and end on a high note going into 2024.  He was a bright spot for the development team earlier in the year. 

The final 3 games of August didn't do much to help his numbers as Creed went 1-12 with no walks/HBP.  So August finished .128 / .225 / .198 and bringing his season to .190 avg at the time.

In September there have been 5 games and he is 5-22 with one of those a double.    Bringing is A+ numbers to .193 / .266 / .311 (.577 OPS)

Currently sitting at 52-270 in Aberdeen that is only 2 hits shy of 0.200 .  If he plays in the remaining 3 games, theory would need 2 hits above .200 to get him to Mendoza. 3-7,  4-10, 5-11 (12, 13 14, 15) will all do it. 

Creed's Aberdeen career started well up until about July 15.  Then a mild slowdown.  I know some believe he is fighting an injury but I would be surprised that the staff would continue to let him play 'hurt'.  The big change was Basallo's promotion to Aberdeen on August 1 and forcing Silas's move to Bowie.  

I think the internal need to play better than the competition is much like what happens when I think to myself, "Just don't hit it into the water" while playing golf.

Creed is going to have to show improvement in 2024 and Basallo (if he continues the way he is finishing) will make a move to AA much quicker (whether it be at catcher or other)

• Upvote 1