Gunnar Henderson 2023

Just Regular

7 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Julio Rodriguez had a .544 OPS with 30K in 81PA last April.  Adley's OPS was 0.496 through his first 3 weeks last year.

Gunnar is at a .636 OPS right now.  Let him settle in.  I wasn't on thee ROY hype train but he's better than he's showing now.  

And Kelenic is now hitting .300 after failing in multiple opportunities. Sometimes it takes a while to click and baseball is unpredictable.

14 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Oh wow, that’s actually a serious question. I thought it was parody.

FFS, people are so impatient.

Impatient is forcing a 21 year old, who is clearly struggling with his confidence, into the lineup every night, bouncing him around between positions, just because he topped out some prospect lists and was called up last season and had a couple weeks of success.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, DirtyBird said:

Impatient is forcing a 21 year old, who is clearly struggling with his confidence, into the lineup every night, bouncing him around between positions, just because he topped out some prospect lists and was called up last season and had a couple weeks of success.

It isn't because he topped out some prospects lists.

It is because of the way he played in order to top those prospect lists.

You see the difference?

Mind you I agree on the moving him around on defense part, always have.

You don't learn to hit major league pitching by facing minor league pitching.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, DirtyBird said:

No.  Impatient is your thought process that Henderson should be off of the roster in APRIL. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It isn't because he topped out some prospects lists.

It is because of the way he played in order to top those prospect lists.

You see the difference?

Mind you I agree on the moving him around on defense part, always have.

You don't learn to hit major league pitching by facing minor league pitching.

How did he finish last season at the plate? How was he in sprint training? How has he done so far this season?

What is better roster/organization construction?

Frazier, Urias, Mateo as full time regulars and Westburg as a utility guy that fills in on off days. Henderson in AAA working things out at the plate and field, building his confidence back?

or

The current product of bouncing a struggling Henderson between 3B and SS and forcing him into the lineup most nights over players who are offering better production?

3 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

How did he finish last season at the plate? How was he in sprint training? How has he done so far this season?

What is better roster/organization construction?

Frazier, Urias, Mateo as full time regulars and Westburg as a utility guy that fills in on off days. Henderson in AAA working things out at the plate and field, building his confidence back?

or

The current product of bouncing a struggling Henderson between 3B and SS and forcing him into the lineup most nights over players who are offering better production?

I love, just love how everyone seems to know that a guy needs to "build his confidence back".  You don't know that.  Maybe getting demoted would be more of a hit to his confidence?

Remember when he was the youngest player at Camp Covid?  He adjusted. 

If he wasn't walking I'd be more likely to agree with you.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I love, just love how everyone seems to know that a guy needs to "build his confidence back".  You don't know that.  Maybe getting demoted would be more of a hit to his confidence?

Remember when he was the youngest player at Camp Covid?  He adjusted. 

If he wasn't walking I'd be more likely to agree with you.

Then what you are saying is the first option would make for a better roster, but moving Gunnar to AAA for a while would not help him.

It might help him, might hurt him.  Probably won't make much of a difference in the grand scheme of his career.

I'm pretty much always in favor of challenging players.  Just like I didn't want Grayson sent to the minors to start the season.

Maybe Gunnar can't overcome his swing and miss issues.  Maybe he can't hit lefties and ends up a platoon guy.

I don't know.  But if those things are true I don't think sending him down to Norfolk for a month is going to change it.