Gunnar Henderson 2023

Just Regular

8 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

Gunnar isn't costing us wins, our horrendous starting pitching is. 

It’s never all one thing or another.   If it was a binary choice, I’d agree with you, but it’s not.  Both are making it harder to win right now.  And hopefully both will do better.  That’s what I expect to happen.  

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s never all one thing or another.   If it was a binary choice, I’d agree with you, but it’s not.  Both are making it harder to win right now.  And hopefully both will do better.  That’s what I expect to happen.  

If he continues to struggle that certainly might be the case, but at the pace we've scored runs (so far this season) I think we'd be in second place, even our pitching had just been average/mediocre. Gunnar's struggles (at least at the plate) have been somewhat well timed because everyone else has had a hot bat. 

11 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

We would be in 2nd place if McKenna catches a flyball.

The defense has contributed a lot to our pitching woes, that being the most egregious example, but far from the only one.  Anyway, I feel both the pitching and defense will improve, and the offense will regress.   

• Upvote 1

Just now, DirtyBird said:

Gunnar OPS:

In Losses, .360

RISP, .548

2-Out RISP, .250

Late & Close, .143

Counterpoint, the Orioles are 6th in MLB in runs scored (5.59) and 23rd in ERA (4.96). Gunnar's bat (or lack thereof) hasn't cost them any games so far. Their pitching on the other hand...

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Santander has a lower OPS than Henderson. Where's the angst about Santander? 

Santander has played in 453 MLB games so far.   Gunnar is in his rookie year.   We know more of what we can rationally expect Santander to do over a full year.  He hit 33 bombs last year with an OPS close to .800 in basically a full year.   Do we really have to preach about small sample sizes every single spring?

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

Counterpoint, the Orioles are 6th in MLB in runs scored (5.59) and 23rd in ERA (4.96). Gunnar's bat (or lack thereof) hasn't cost them any games so far. Their pitching on the other hand...

There’s no way to say whether Gunnar’s bat lost us any games.  For example, he came up in the 9th inning of a 5-5 game on Saturday, runners on 1st and 2nd.  He gets a hit there, we win that game 6-5.  Instead, we don’t score, it goes to extra innings and we lose.

WAR indicates Gunnar has cost us wins so far.  He’s at -0.2 rWAR, the combined staff is at +1.9.   Fangraphs has it Gunnar -0.1 fWAR, pitchers +1.2.   It’s a silly comparison between one player and an entire unit of the team, but you put it out there.  

4 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Santander has played in 453 MLB games so far.   Gunnar is in his rookie year.   We know more of what we can rationally expect Santander to do over a full year.  He hit 33 bombs last year with an OPS close to .800 in basically a full year.   Do we really have to preach about small sample sizes every single spring?

No kidding. That was really my point. There's a tremendous amount of angst about very small sample sizes in this thread. SSS is misleading for every player on the roster, not just the rookies or the players that fans want/expect to succeed. 

By the way, Santander has a career OBP of .299 in those 453 MLB games. Having a sucky year is well within the realistic possibilities for Santander. 

3 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

No kidding. That was really my point. There's a tremendous amount of angst about very small sample sizes in this thread. SSS is misleading for every player on the roster, not just the rookies or the players that fans want/expect to succeed. 

By the way, Santander has a career OBP of .299 in those 453 MLB games. Having a sucky year is well within the realistic possibilities for Santander. 

The over dramatic SSS arguments, whether good or bad, are easily the worst discussions on this board. (Unless you want to count the game threads)

22 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Santander has a lower OPS than Henderson. Where's the angst about Santander? 

This isn't a Santander thread. But I think his role should be cut back also. He should DH only, be moved down in the lineup.

But Santander has broken out of a slump before.

40 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Gunnar OPS:

In Losses, .360

RISP, .548

2-Out RISP, .250

Late & Close, .143

He’s gonna take some lumps.  Who knows, it may be for an extended period of time.  I think he’s going to start gaining some momentum ,  Julio and Adley looked rough to start last last year.