Gunnar Henderson 2023

Just Regular

20 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

He has allowed WAY TOO many hittable pitches to pass him by being too patient. Once he makes that adjustment, he will be fine. The talent is all there.

Aren't they teaching the hitters that it is OK to not swing at boarderline strikes if they are the type of pitch they can't make solid contact with?

I don't want him swinging at a "hittable" pitch just to top it to second for an easy grounder.

Just because a pitch is a strike doesn't mean it's a good pitch to hit.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Aren't they teaching the hitters that it is OK to not swing at boarderline strikes if they are the type of pitch they can't make solid contact with?

I don't want him swinging at a "hittable" pitch just to top it to second for an easy grounder.

Just because a pitch is a strike doesn't mean it's a good pitch to hit.

They are definitely teaching that  and Gunnar is one of the poster boys for it.

I guess the question becomes should he alter his approach with 2 strikes. Personally I think he's fine and just adjusting to the league. 

Some of the pitches that he has let go were not borderline. He even let some get me overs go by early in the counts on more than one occasion. He has to be more aggressive zone at least until his confidence begins to pick up. He's a very bad 2 strike hitter at the moment and he's striking out way too much. It's like when he gets 2 strikes on him now, the only positive approach that we can hope for is a walk, otherwise it's an automatic out. He has fallen behind in the count way too much so far this year.

I don't want him allowing these strikeouts to pile up and get into his head.

3 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Some of the pitches that he has let go were not borderline. He even let some get me overs go by early in the counts on more than one occasion. He has to be more aggressive zone at least until his confidence begins to pick up. He's a very bad 2 strike hitter at the moment and he's striking out way too much. It's like when he gets 2 strikes on him now, the only positive approach that we can hope for is a walk, otherwise it's an automatic out. He has fallen behind in the count way too much so far this year.

First off we don't know his confidence is currently lacking.

Secondly I think the worst advice we can give him is "Hey swing at stuff you don't think you can make solid contact with."

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Secondly I think the worst advice we can give him is "Hey swing at stuff you don't think you can make solid contact with."

I agree with you.  He needs to hit the pitches he swings at, and maybe be a little less choosy with two strikes.  Meanwhile I’ll take the .365 OBP while he figures it out.  

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Fair point on #1. But that is a concern of mine. If success breeds more confidence, the lack of success can go the other way.

On #2 - I don't think either of us wants that. But maybe I'm saying that there is a such thing as being too patient and hunting for the perfect pitch.

1 hour ago, Bemorewins said:

There's probably threads from last year saying the same thing about Adley, when he was being "too patient". I think Gunnar will be fine.

1 hour ago, webbrick2010 said:

I don't feel like doing it, but someone should post the stats for Cal Ripken's and Nick Markakis first 60 games in the majors, I know they were awful

They were also very young like Gunnar

It was really Cal Jr.‘s first 41 games that were a struggle.  .118 / .127 / .178 with only 1 BB and 17 K’s, a HR and 4 RBI.

He turned it on in the next 19 games, going .343 / .373 / .500 during that stretch on his way to the ROY award.

• Upvote 1