Yennier Canó 2023

OsFanSinceThe80s

2 hours ago, BRobinsonfan said:

I knew Cano's spectacular early-season performance was unsustainable, but he's looking very hittable as of late.  Over his last eight innings, he's allowed 12 hits.  With someone with a longer track record of success, I might chalk it up to a minor slump, but it wasn't that long ago when he was giving up hits by the bucket full and sported a gaudy double digit ERA.  His control seems as good as ever, and while KO's are down a little, he's still averaging close to 1 per inning over his last 7 games so those are encouraging signs.    

No one was going to keep up what he was doing, but I think were seeing the results of over use by Hyde/Orioles. Still, he's able to make good pitches when he needs to. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I have to be honest with you, this is one of your silliest dig in moments. You are a smarter baseball fan than this continued take and you keep making it sillier with comments like this. You clearly knew Frobby did not mean that. 

Just run up the white flag, admit you were wrong on the take, and move on. It's ok to have a wrong initial take. It's get sillier when the evidence is clear the take was wrong and you keep digging in and arguing for your mistake.

Just going off of his words.

The league was always going to make adjustments. As ever, the pendulum swings back to Cano to make his own.

I'm still encouraged by what I see every time he's called in. You can feel good that he's not going to walk anyone and will throw one of the nastiest pitches in baseball. Not much more you can ask for from a rookie reliever.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think Cano is probably a little tired.  He has only been with the Orioles for 42 games, and he’s thrown 29 innings already.  That’s about a 112 inning pace over a full 162-game season.  I’m sure Hyde would have loved it if Baker and Coulombe could have kept the lead at 5 runs so that he could leave Cano on the bench.  

He’s put together about 1/3 of the body of work that Eric Gagne did in 2003 when he won the Cy Young and finished 6th in MVP voting. 

I don’t know where we’d be without him. Bautista was able to get a 2nd wind. It looked like he was worn out very early on. 

Also, how much does it help us when we can go to him in the 7th inning and then follow that up with Bautista?  That’s gotta just be deflating for our opponents. 

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

No one was going to keep up what he was doing, but I think were seeing the results of over use by Hyde/Orioles. Still, he's able to make good pitches when he needs to. 

Good point.  And it just underscores how short-sighted it was not to go out and get another proven starter in the off-season.  It's frustrating to imagine where we might be had they done that.  Throw in a MOO bat and I think we'd be in great shape.  

1 hour ago, Alasdaire said:

The league was always going to make adjustments. As ever, the pendulum swings back to Cano to make his own.

I'm still encouraged by what I see every time he's called in. You can feel good that he's not going to walk anyone and will throw one of the nastiest pitches in baseball. Not much more you can ask for from a rookie reliever.

It's still amazing to look at his stat line and see one walk in 29 innings.  If Hyde doesn't wear him out first, this can be a pretty fantastic season for Cano.  

31 minutes ago, BRobinsonfan said:

Good point.  And it just underscores how short-sighted it was not to go out and get another proven starter in the off-season.  It's frustrating to imagine where we might be had they done that.  Throw in a MOO bat and I think we'd be in great shape.  

Well since that's what I thought we needed going into the offseason, I'm going to say I'm in violent agreement! lol

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Well since that's what I thought we needed going into the offseason, I'm going to say I'm in violent agreement! lol

Ah, violent agreement... the best kind of agreement!  Still, it's nice to know we're potentially only two players away from having a team built for serious contention. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2023 at 1:39 PM, BRobinsonfan said:

It's still amazing to look at his stat line and see one walk in 29 innings.  If Hyde doesn't wear him out first, this can be a pretty fantastic season for Cano.  

With 3 walks in 5 innings since this post, Cano's total is now a still-impressive 4 walks in 34 innings. His non-qualifying 0.71 WHIP has begun to climb toward league-best Tyler Wells' 0.85. Bautista and Coulombe at 1.06 and 1.07, respectively, are at the next level.

13 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Don’t see the natural sink on the fastball or the disappearing changeup anymore.  That is all.

Yep, when he first came up guys could barely hit the top of the ball.  Now they are lining/flying out with regularity.  It is likely an arm slot thing.  I'm sure they are trying to find that movement again.

15 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Don’t see the natural sink on the fastball or the disappearing changeup anymore.  That is all.

Yeah, the fastball was up all day.

Of note, he did work in the slider more than he has all year iirc, and threw a few nasty ones.

Cano really is looking pretty average these days.  His pitches don’t seem to have the same downward action right now.  His ERA results have still been okay but guys are getting their hits and elevating the ball much more than before when they were just pounding it into the ground.  

The ball just isn’t moving like it was.  He needs to find the arm slot again. Pitches used to look like whiffle balls.  That said sinkerballers often do better with less rest and too much rest causes issues. 

Edited by baltfan