Cade Povich 2023

Getz

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Watching his Norfolk debut.  Has some nice breaking stuff and changeup but the command was off and the fastball was 90-92.  I didn’t see anything higher than 92 and I saw more 90 than 92.   He’s got the back foot breaking pitch to RH batters if he can get ahead.  I’d guess that’s how he racks up the K’s.

Top 3rd he walked the bases loaded and tried to throw a 2-2 fastball past Keaton Hiura.   A letter high fastball at 90.  A no doubt about it grand slam to CF.  Knocked out!

I  thought his velo was better than that. 

41 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't get how folks can be high on Povich and down on Hall.

I’m still high (medium-high) on both.  You see the nasty stuff and then BOOM 4 pitch walk.  Just so frustrating to watch.  It looked like he was in for a good night before the walk fest.  I don’t think we’ve seen the last of Hall this year.  

13 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

How many more times does Povich have to do that before he's knocking on the door in Baltimore?

Twice consecutively would be nice.  It doesn’t even need to be this good, just pretty good.  That hasn’t happened all year. 

I expect him to be the 7th or 8th starter next year for the O's.

We have been fairly healthy this season, Flaherty is only the 8th different starter the O's have had this season, and one of those was Akin in a bullpen game. 

I think Povich would have to pitch well through next May or so for him to be a real consideration.

He will probably be competing with McDermott and Seth Johnson to be the first man up next season.

Johnson is already on the 40-man roster and neither Povich or McDermott have to be added until December 2024, so that is also a factor.

Edited by MurphDogg

Per Statcast, the fastball was between 90.4 and 93.8, with an average of 92.2. So, below average MLB SP velocity, but probably not that far off average for a LH SP. 

However, the spin was avg 2323, which is solidly above MLB average. For reference, Kremer is 55th percentile at 2278. Wells is 87th percentile at 2443. So Povich is probably around 65th percentile or so. 

That should be enough fastball to cut it if the rest of the offerings are good enough.

Would be nice if he could establish himself consistently as a top 10 guy.  Still think McDermott is a reliever but he has to be in the starter conversation for now.   That leaves Seth Johnson to hopefully get back on a mound and become part of the conversation.   I also believe Brandon Young can be a factor going into next season.  

13 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

We have been fairly healthy this season, Flaherty is only the 8th different starter the O's have had this season, and one of those was Akin in a bullpen game. 

I think Povich would have to pitch well through next May or so for him to be a real consideration.

He will probably be competing with McDermott and Seth Johnson to be the first man up next season.

Johnson is already on the 40-man roster and neither Povich or McDermott have to be added until December 2024, so that is also a factor.

Do you really think Johnson might be the first man up next year? Is this the same Seth Johnson that pitched 27 innings last year in the High-A level. The one who is recovering from TJ surgery? 

• Upvote 1

Speaking of Johnson do we know anything about his rehab? I havent seen a single update on him. Didn't he have surgery over year ago?

4 minutes ago, mlrhode said:

Speaking of Johnson do we know anything about his rehab? I havent seen a single update on him. Didn't he have surgery over year ago?

His surgery was a year ago yesterday. As far as I (and Google) know, the Orioles haven't said anything about his recovery but that is the Orioles MO. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Deep depth is how teams like the Rays can consistently be good over 162 games.  For next year, Povich is behind Irvin and Zimmerman in our SP pecking order.  I like that we will have for LH SP options for next year, Means included.  Lefties play up in OPACY because of the wall.  If all things are equal, I could see us trying to be more left handed with our rotation.  I just don't know you remove from Bradish, Wells, Kremer, and Grayson.