2023 Aberdeen Ironbirds

glenn__davis

v

On 7/13/2023 at 7:44 PM, Frobby said:

Among remaining players, 2022 2nd rounder Dylan Beavers (.771 OPS), 2022 4th rounder Max Wagner (.770). 2021 12th rounder Jacob Teter (.769) and 2021 overslot 8th rounder Creed Willems (.728)  have been offensive mainstays, but the big surprise has been undrafted free agent and former Terp  Max Costes (.801), who joined the team in May.

The current rotation in Aberdeen includes 2022 5th rounder Trace Bright (4.64 ERA), 2021 14th rounder Daniel Lloyd (4.45), 2022 undrafted free agent Cooper Chandler (3.13), 2021 17th rounder Ryan Long (2.52), and Kyle Virbitsky (4.71), acquired in the Darrel Hernaiz trade last winter.

Strike Teter and Long off the list — both promoted to Bowie. 

Yesterday, 2022 8th rounder Csmeron Weston allowed 2 ER in 5 innings, putting his ERA at 1.47.  Weston got a late start to his season, debuting with one outing in the FCL on June 9 before debuting with the Ironbirds on June 15.  He’s been pitching long relief stints of 2.2 - 4.0 innings until yesterday’s 5 inning start. With Ryan Long’s promotion, perhaps Weston is being inserted into the rotation.  He’s not someone I’d noticed until yesterday, but I’ll start paying more attention now.  

28 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yesterday, 2022 8th rounder Csmeron Weston allowed 2 ER in 5 innings, putting his ERA at 1.47.  Weston got a late start to his season, debuting with one outing in the FCL on June 9 before debuting with the Ironbirds on June 15.  He’s been pitching long relief stints of 2.2 - 4.0 innings until yesterday’s 5 inning start. With Ryan Long’s promotion, perhaps Weston is being inserted into the rotation.  He’s not someone I’d noticed until yesterday, but I’ll start paying more attention now.  

Interesting. Gonna have to go look at his scouting report and put him on my radar. 

• 2 weeks later...

Aberdeen is playing well in the Sally League second half, 18-9 so far.  Second half division winner goes to the playoffs, and if it’s the same as the first half winner, then the second place team from the second half goes.   Aberdeen is in second place right now.   Too early to worry about it, but good to see them playing well.  

• 1 month later...

Aberdeen finished its season at 66-63, fittingly winning their final game on a walk-off wild pitch.

72 players (39 position players, 33 pitchers) played for Aberdeen during the season, with only a few spending the whole season there.  Fredrick Bencosme did, and led the team in PA, AB, runs (tied with Max Wagner), hits, walks and RBI, all while having a pretty disappointing .657 OPS season.  Among those with at least 100 PA, the OPS leaders were Samuel Basallo (1.131), Jackson Holliday (.940), Jud Fabian (.882), Max Costes (.871), Dylan Beavers (.832), Max Wagner (.757) and Elio Prado (.746).  Wagner led the team in homers (10) while Beavers led in doubles (26) and Luis Valdez led in stolen bases with 43.

On the pitching side, Kyle Virbitsky (who was named team MVP) led the staff with 103.1 IP,  narrowly trailed by Daniel Lloyd at 102.2.   Among pitchers who made at least 10 starts, Alex Pham led in ERA at 2.45, followed by Jean Pinto at 2.75 and Lloyd at 3.24.  Trace Bright led that group in K/9 at 13.8, followed by Pham at 13.3 and Pinto at 12.7.  

I’ll try to add some other points later, but those were the highlights.  Who would you say were the best prospects to finish the year with the team, other than Basallo and the 2023 draftees?

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Aberdeen finished its season at 66-63, fittingly winning their final game on a walk-off wild pitch.

72 players (39 position players, 33 pitchers) played for Aberdeen during the season, with only a few spending the whole season there.  Fredrick Bencosme did, and led the team in PA, AB, runs (tied with Max Wagner), hits, walks and RBI, all while having a pretty disappointing .657 OPS season.  Among those with at least 100 PA, the OPS leaders were Samuel Basallo (1.131), Jackson Holliday (.940), Jud Fabian (.882), Max Costes (.871), Dylan Beavers (.832), Max Wagner (.757) and Elio Prado (.746).  Wagner led the team in homers (10) while Beavers led in doubles (26) and Luis Valdez led in stolen bases with 43.

On the pitching side, Kyle Virbitsky (who was named team MVP) led the staff with 103.1 IP,  narrowly trailed by Daniel Lloyd at 102.2.   Among pitchers who made at least 10 starts, Alex Pham led in ERA at 2.45, followed by Jean Pinto at 2.75 and Lloyd at 3.24.  Trace Bright led that group in K/9 at 13.8, followed by Pham at 13.3 and Pinto at 12.7.  

I’ll try to add some other points later, but those were the highlights.  Who would you say were the best prospects to finish the year with the team, other than Basallo and the 2023 draftees?

Bencosme is still just 20, had strong plate discipline numbers and finished 16 for his last 38.  2022 was a breakout year.  2023 was a disappointment.  I think he did enough to start next year at Bowie and hopefully 2024 is a bounce back year.   Prado is probably next best.  He’s a strong defender who showed just enough with the bat to keep the book open on him.