Spenser Watkins Optioned to Norfolk, Keegan Akin Returns

Billy F-Face3

Today the Orioles have sent Spenser Watkins back down to AAA Norfolk, and taken Keegan Akin off of the parental leave list.

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/roster/transactions

According to math from Friday, Kyle Bradish would be set to pitch on Wednesday, but for whom he pitches for is currently an open question. If the Orioles bring him back up without another rehab start (he said he feels good), then that means they would still have to send another pitcher back to AAA in the coming days.

50 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

All this bodes well for the idea of letting Grayson Rodriguez stay in the Big Leagues because I think they're going to send a reliever down. The current rotation (from tomorrow's start) looks like this...

Kremer

Bradish

Wells

Gibson

Rodriguez

Agreed, though I think Kremer is another bad start away from getting demoted as well. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, luismatos4prez said:

Agreed, though I think Kremer is another bad start away from getting demoted as well. 

I completely agree. I think we rip the band aid off and either push Kremer to the bullpen or back to AAA and see what Hall can do as a starter when ready. 

10 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

All this bodes well for the idea of letting Grayson Rodriguez stay in the Big Leagues because I think they're going to send a reliever down. The current rotation (from tomorrow's start) looks like this...

Kremer

Bradish

Wells

Gibson

Rodriguez

Now that he found his changeup, I think Rodriguez is here to stay unless he strings several really bad starts in a row and needs a reset.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Now that he found his changeup, I think Rodriguez is here to stay unless he strings several really bad starts in a row and needs a reset.

Am I being paranoid, or is there any merit to the theory that the change is what hurt his lat last year and he decided to change the way he threw it to preserve his health until Sunday when it again looked like his best pitch? 

54 minutes ago, joelala said:

Am I being paranoid, or is there any merit to the theory that the change is what hurt his lat last year and he decided to change the way he threw it to preserve his health until Sunday when it again looked like his best pitch? 

I hadn't hear that before. Not sure how a pitch would cause an oblique since I don't see anything different in his delivery. Besides, it wasn't just the change, it was the command was missing since the injury. 

After the first inning on Sunday, it seemed like the command and the changeup returned. 

1 hour ago, joelala said:

It shouldn’t have anything to do with his lat.  The changeup is about the grip and pronating the wrist outward a bit.

If his CH is back, he’s in a good spot!

1 minute ago, btdart20 said:

It shouldn’t have anything to do with his lat.  The changeup is about the grip and pronating the wrist outward a bit.

If his CH is back, he’s in a good spot!

Well if he’s pronating his wrist a lot it could theoretically put stress on the lat as his body tries to get the arm back to the midline after pronation, but I’d think this would more affect the smaller muscles in the arm and shoulder.  Again, I think I’m just being paranoid. Very pumped to watch the kid flourish. 

23 minutes ago, MCO'sFan said:

Anyone else think it is weird that Watkins didn't pitch? With the BP do overused, I was surprised. I guess they were waiting to see if Bradish could make his next start but still seems like a wasted chance to get a fresh arm up. 

I’m not. Games were pretty close and got enough innings from starters to go to middle relief. I just don’t think circumstances were there. 

• Upvote 1