Cionel Perez

BRobinsonfan

9 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Nice hold ….stuff looked good. Mateo almost catches the third out. You don’t let Realmuto beat you.

His fastball looked good, but his curve was crappy. Did he throw a single curve over the plate?

9 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

His fastball looked good, but his curve was crappy. Did he throw a single curve over the plate?

I don’t think so but he actual thre two good ones to Bohm,  I think, a little low but good looking pitches.   He wasn’t fantastic but the fastball overall, velocity, movement, command, looked good.

I feel like the pitch calling isn’t taking into consideration the psyche of the pitcher.  We have guys that it is clear are struggling with confidence he to throw strikes.  Have them throw the pitch they can get strikes with especially if they are locating with it like Perez was. 

3 hours ago, Jagwar said:

He got a strikeout on the second hitter with an off speed pitch. I think he pitched well and seemed to locate pretty well. The velocity is there and 3 straight good relief outings. I think he could catch fire i& his confidence is back. 

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

He got a strikeout on the second hitter with an off speed pitch. I think he pitched well and seemed to locate pretty well. The velocity is there and 3 straight good relief outings. I think he could catch fire i& his confidence is back. 

Seeing him scream out with elation was really nice. We will need him down the stretch and this was a huge confidence boost for the guy. His stuff is electric.

1 hour ago, Explosivo said:

Seeing him scream out with elation was really nice. We will need him down the stretch and this was a huge confidence boost for the guy. His stuff is electric.

Sometime you just need a break or two to go your way. As far as concerned over his breaking stuff I’m guessing that will come with his relaxing up bit and not pressing. I assume that will happen with confidence. 

• 1 month later...

In his last 16 appearances, Cionel Perez has a 0.00 ERA, 1.47 FIP, 0.69 WHIP, 10.4 K/9, and has allowed 1 of 13 inherited runners to score.   He’s looking very confident and in command out there on the mound these days.  It’s great to see after his inconsistent first half of the season.  Hopefully he can keep on this roll through October.  

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

In his last 16 appearances, Cionel Perez has a 0.00 ERA, 1.47 FIP, 0.69 WHIP, 10.4 K/9, and has allowed 1 of 13 inherited runners to score.   He’s looking very confident and in command out there on the mound these days.  It’s great to see after his inconsistent first half of the season.  Hopefully he can keep on this roll through October.  

I am surprised he is not getting more innings.  I think he should be the back end lefty late in the game over Hall.  

I think that it should be noted that the play last night when he covered first on the ground ball to Mountcastle...very few pitchers get there to make the out.  He flew over to 1st and showed incredible footwork to step on the bag and not run into the runner.  Soccer-type footwork.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, yark14 said:

I think that it should be noted that the play last night when he covered first on the ground ball to Mountcastle...very few pitchers get there to make the out.  He flew over to 1st and showed incredible footwork to step on the bag and not run into the runner.  Soccer-type footwork.

Good to see he learned from his mistake.  There was a similar play a bit ago and he got a late jump to first then tried to bare hand the catch.  San Diego series maybe?  Huge rebound this season.  We rely on our relivers so much that it really doesn't matter at this point what order they come in.  Just as long as they are on the roster.  

1 hour ago, bpilktree67 said:

I am surprised he is not getting more innings.  I think he should be the back end lefty late in the game over Hall.  

Kind of like the reliever version of O'Hearn, I think they got Cionel back on track by limiting him to matchup opportunities that put him in a position for success. Seeing how bad he can be, seems the idea is to stick with what's working. It does seem like they are using him in higher leverage, but primarily against LHB. Whereas they see Hall has a changeup that is effective vs RHB so he is a more versatile guy that can come in regardless of matchups.

Cionel has quietly been really good after a lot of people wanted to get rid of him early in the year. Basically since June he has been what he was last year. If Felix is down for the postseason he is going to need to step up and get some big outs for us.