Sunday April 30: Orioles try to end one of their best opening months ever on a winning note

SteveA

I've always thought that a run or runs scored when there's a one-run lead is an "insurance run" or runs, and that a run or runs scored with a two or three-run lead is "extra insurance." At one point, a run or runs scored when a team is already up a few was called a "pad run" or runs. I think Chuck Thompson used that term -- don't hear it any more, and "insurance run" seems to be used more broadly. 

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• I think that’s the issue right? He wasn’t brought up to play? That seems silly. You have 2 vets that are very inconsistent and are not hitting their weight, so there is plenty of opportunities to get Heston at bats besides once every 4-5 games. Plus it’s silly to not give regulars at least a day off every now and then so you could have O’HIM at first and Heston DH. We have the players to keep everyone fresh throughout the year. 
    • Agree I’d love to see Rhino get some more run against lefties (especially cuz I have him on my fantasy team) but I don’t see it unless Mounty or god forbid Adley gets hurt. 
    • Maybe he has but part of this team reminds of the Weaver era, where Earl knew his teams strengths and knew how to put them in roles where they could succeed. This Administration has found a good spot for Ohearn, for me don't mess with it, if its righty he starts, if not great match up bat off the bench.
    • Here’s my top 10: 1. Gunnar to MVP levels, crushing lefties and potentially even improving at SS 2. Westburg to all-star levels 3. Bradish completely healthy (knock on wood) 4. Cowser to above-average regular levels 5. Ryan O’Hearn to ??? levels? Still absurdly high xwOBA 6. Cole Irvin settling into a solid rotation guy rather than swing man, potentially more 7. No steps back for Cano and Coulombe anchoring the pen 8. Cade Povich step forward, potentially already pushing for a rotation spot 9. Mountcastle mini-breakout, putting him as more of a solid/plus regular than borderline platoon guy, with 2 years of control after this one given we need the righty bat and not sure who the first baseman “of the future” will be 10. Plenty of others worthy (Suarez, Webb, Akin, Means, Mayo, Kjerstad), but I’ve already convinced myself Kade Strowd is going to be the next out-of-nowhere bullpen guy to emerge and be a big part of the pen by end of year  
    • This rotation has a chance to be special. I’m always thinking slightly negative though so I worry about Bradish and Means health, and can Irvin continue? With Irvin it’s less of a concern because they could put him in the bullpen, but with injuries I think he will be needed.
    • You are right. But I left that unstated because I figured most people inherently understand that we all employed to earn money. No matter how much, most people want to make the most that they are able to. 
  • Popular Contributors