Tuesday, May 9 vs Tampa Bay Rays

SteveA

Just now, dtk9119 said:

Big difference, Astros were willing to spend money to supplement young talent which got them over the top in 2017.

You have me confused.

I'm not talking about the trades the Astros made, I don't think Elias had much to do with that.

I'm talking about the pitchers they drafted early in the draft when he was the draft guy.

5 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

If this team had an owner or  CEO who knew anything about baseball, I think there would be a serious question after this season whether to move on from Elias (assuming his inaction isn't at ownership's direction). He did a fine job in the initial stages of the rebuild, but I see no evidence that he knows how to go forward from there. I hope i'm wrong.

I don't think Elias us going anywhere, but I'm starting to lean towards that Elias is not the guy to get this team to a World Series after his last offseason. I'll give him one more year and offseason, but if he remains risk adverse, he's not the guy to take the team to next level. 

A real CEO/owner would be looking at the Rays and Braves for assistants. For now, I'm going to hope that something happened last offseason that threw Elias for a loop (lack of budget, market spiraled on him, etc) and that he'll be better prepared this offseason. 

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You have me confused.

I'm not talking about the trades the Astros made, I don't think Elias had much to do with that.

I'm talking about the pitchers they drafted early in the draft when he was the draft guy.

They weren't good. As good as Elias is as identifying hitters, drafting and developing starting pitchers is not exactly his calling card. We were told he would use these hitters to find impact starting pitching that he refuses to draft.

He's traded Hernaiz (5th round pick) for Irvin (in AAA after failing).