What Elias' "Win Now Plan" means for players at AAA.

wildcard

22 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Question:   If Frazier proceeds that the same pace into late July, does this mean he will be a trade chip that can bring back a prospect (of whatever value)?   July 30 Frazier remaining salary would be about 2.7M.

I’d say yes, but probably of the lottery ticket variety.   

49 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Per Fangraphs, Frazier is on pace to be worth about $10.4 mm, about $2.4 mm more than we are paying him. 

I don’t think his salary is that ridiculous.  I just feel we had other options that would have been more cost efficient, and that the money would have been better spent elsewhere.  Frazier might have been worth $8 mm to a team that didn’t have the options at 2B that we had.  

I've never subscribed to Fangraphs value estimations either. At the end of the day, you don't spend $8 million on a player when you have others already on hand much cheaper. It's a bad use of limited resources.

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I've never subscribed to Fangraphs value estimations either. At the end of the day, you don't spend $8 million on a player when you have others already on hand much cheaper. It's a bad use of limited resources.

Right.

Even if 8M is a fair market value for his production it doesn't make it a prudent allocation of resources.

11 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I figure if you’re going to subscribe to fWAR as a measure of value, you have to subscribe to the value they assign it.  But I agree with the second and third sentences above.  

13 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Exactly! I think the other issue is we figured they were still going to be cheap and we wanted a better starting pitcher than we go. If you take Gibson's 10 million and Frazier's 8 million, I think alot of us believed we could have found a better starting caliber pitcher than Gibson AND we don't block the young talent. Now, the FA starting pitchers haven't turned out great, but of course we didn't know that then. 

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Per Fangraphs, Frazier is on pace to be worth about $10.4 mm, about $2.4 mm more than we are paying him. 

I don’t think his salary is that ridiculous.  I just feel we had other options that would have been more cost efficient, and that the money would have been better spent elsewhere.  Frazier might have been worth $8 mm to a team that didn’t have the options at 2B that we had.  

The salary is ridiculous because they will play him all the time, despite better players being available.

Serious question - Has there even been a deader horse than this Frazier thing? I’m curious what other topics have been beaten into the ground around here as much as this one has. 

I just don’t get why it has to be stated over and over and over and over. I don’t even disagree with the sentiment, I’m just tired of hearing about it all the time. 

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

Serious question - Has there even been a deader horse than this Frazier thing? I’m curious what other topics have been beaten into the ground around here as much as this one has. 

I just don’t get why it has to be stated over and over and over and over. I don’t even disagree with the sentiment, I’m just tired of hearing about it all the time. 

I think folks complaining about dead horses edges it out.

30 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

Lew Ford? 🤣😂

2 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

So you are comfortable trading Ortiz and Norby? Anyone else? What kind of player do you think that could fetch?

Not trading Ortiz any time soon.  I could see them trading Norby once he peaks at AAA.

2 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

That’s hard to believe. 

You've only been here (posting) a year.

Folks have been complaining about the mistreatment of post mortem equines since before I joined.

This Frazier stuff has only been going on a few months.

It hasn't even reached Chance Sisco level yet.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

You've only been here (posting) a year.

Folks have been complaining about the mistreatment of post mortem equines since before I joined.

This Frazier stuff has only been going on a few months.

It hasn't even reached Chance Sisco level yet.

Sure, that’s why I was asking what prior beaten topics were. You’ve given me one answer in Sisco, apparently. Was that about getting him to the majors, what a bust he was, or what?

2 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Exactly! I think the other issue is we figured they were still going to be cheap and we wanted a better starting pitcher than we go. If you take Gibson's 10 million and Frazier's 8 million, I think alot of us believed we could have found a better starting caliber pitcher than Gibson AND we don't block the young talent. Now, the FA starting pitchers haven't turned out great, but of course we didn't know that then. 

Who is the 1/18 starter you wanted?

• Upvote 1