Monday, May 15: Grayson Rodriguez vs Shohei Ohtani

SteveA

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

BTW, I do think Rodriguez will be a good major league pitcher, but he's a guy we're going to have deal with night like tonight because of the lack of command. 

He may very well be a good pitcher.   Ben McDonald said that it took him about 200 innings to figure out how to pitch and limit damage/big innings.  This is why it is very risky to have a lot of inexperienced pitchers on the same staff.  Grayson will need time to figure out how to pitch in this league. 

Just now, Tony-OH said:

You probably should not come into the game thread. The game thread is an emotion roller coaster. I don't see how you are helping by questioning how people want to fan. 

Maybe you should fan how you want and you let others fan how they want? 

Sure. Not my intent to control the dialogue. Just boggles my mind why people even follow sports if the end result is it makes them miserable and they feel the need to spread disseminate that misery to everyone else.

9 minutes ago, Alasdaire said:

The O's have the second best record in baseball, our farm system has the longest-running streak in the top spot, the organization has universal approval across the league, and we get to see two of the greatest baseball players ever come into town tonight.

And people here are still histrionic and cynical. What is the point of following sports if you apparently enjoy absolutely nothing about it?

You're so quick to generalize about what people complain about.  Again, like the last time I was called out, I'm complaining about a hyped, #1-rated starting pitching prospect in all of baseball coming up and not being able to get through 4 innings, just like so. many. before. 

I don't know how long you've been following the Orioles, but that pattern has gotten really, really old. 

Game threads are for venting.  That's what I use them for. 

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Problem is, Elias has not shown any ability to do that. He's traded for one starter and it was Cole Irvin. 

He has 4 drafts under his belt and had not drafted one single pitcher that looks like a major league starter right now and has not traded for any of them either. 

How many legitimate starters are available in the off season or trading deadline that are not rentals? 

The Braves drafted Strider and Elder in the same draft (2020). Maybe it's not that they shouldn't draft pitching, but maybe they are not great at developing pitching?

Now saying that, I do think they've developed Kremer and Bradish so I can't say they haven't developed anyone, but Rodriguez even in AAA this year never was dominating. 

Elias is not drafting any pitchers in high rounds.  He has drafted and signed 1 or is it 2 pitchers in the first 5 rounds.

10 minutes ago, Alasdaire said:

Fair enough. I know I should just step away from game threads because the reactionary and emotional nature bothers me. OH is actually pretty good about it in fairness.

This is why the game thread is literally for this. It helps to not bleed over to the other parts of the hangout that allows for reason. 

Getting on people for being emotional in a thread that is literally design to allow people to cheer and vent together is against the spirit of the game thread. No one is held responsible for what they say here. 

You don't get quoted in other threads. You're allowed to just be pissed or just be joyful.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ArtVanDelay said:

The guy in the black Under Armour shirt is regretting his decision to buy a ticket in the splash zone

Yep I saw his face.  He is no longer amused.  

By the way is the "Cedric Mullins.....I cant escape him" kid actually at the game tonight?  

• Haha 1

Cedric blast #6 brings us back within 4 runs with 4 innings left.

Wow has the broadcast mentioned that Jorge Mateo is now 3 for 34 with 2 walks since May 3rd? During that stretch the BA has dropped from .338 to .261.

1 minute ago, Alasdaire said:

Sure. Not my intent to control the dialogue. Just boggles my mind why people even follow sports if the end result is it makes them miserable and they feel the need to spread disseminate that misery to everyone else.

What you call disseminating misery, others would call commiserating with others. Again, the game thread is not for everyone and it does not seem to be the way you like to fan. 

Maybe just come in when the Orioles are kicking butt. This place is a lovefest then. :D

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Alasdaire said:

If we were sitting next to each other at the game tonight wouldnt we be bitching about the pitching between ourselves?  That is pretty much what is going on the game thread.  

• Upvote 1