Ohtani Rental?

Bahama O's Fan

9 hours ago, foxfield said:

I appreciate your response as well.  

The Orioles succeed in large part because their pitching keeps them in games and because Bautista is or has been otherworldly.

I think both as situated today need improvement.  And while the performance has not been consistent it has been consistent enough to get the O's to where they are.

I am not saying I want to see them stand pat.  But I think some of the improvement is likely to come in the form of smaller moves like the one we have already made.  Will that be enough?  Maybe. We could also get a boost from guys moving from starter to the pen.  Or from Means or Grayson.  Will that be enough?  Maybe.

Would I like to see us nail down two guys from SanDiego?  Of course.  

I don't know if those guys are available and I don't know if the pieces we really want are going to be and I don't know if if they are available, if we will pay to get em.

I won't say I will be happy if it falls out that way, but overall, I think or rather I interpret your view as we are not good enough as is.  I think that is probably right, but I think we are better as is than you believe.  But I respect your thoughts/hopes that we invest more into this '23 opportunity.  I personally just don't think we have any reason to believe that Elias will push very many chips into the center of the table unless it is for controllable assets that increase multiple opportunities.  I hope you are right.  I just don't think you are and if I am right and Elias stays conservative I am not going to be too upset.  Mildly, but not too.  I will expect some serious FA play over the winter.  IF that happens, I will join you.

The Orioles health this week has to have Elias rethinking multiple things.  Anyway, I have enjoyed the conversation.  I will make a point of trying to catch you at a game later this summer/fall and perhaps we can enjoy a beverage.

Perhaps that can be. I’m at the stadium plenty.

No matter what, I’m sure we will be rooting for the team as the try to make a run in October.

Norby is the best prospect, rankings wise, that I would deal for a rental But I don’t think I’m adding Povich to it too. Of course, it wasn’t just for one rental but it was for 2 rentals. Still, this seems like a bigger price to pay and im not sure if sets any kind of precedent because of the Angels desperation.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

The Angels are stupid.  But, whatever.

I mean they have been stupid for so long, but in a vacuum I don’t think this particular move is that bad. Their best bet long term is convincing Ohtani to sign. If it costs your 2 and 3 prospects, it’s worth it. He wants to play for a winner, so they probably have to make a deep playoff run. 

22 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I mean they have been stupid for so long, but in a vacuum I don’t think this particular move is that bad. Their best bet long term is convincing Ohtani to sign. If it costs your 2 and 3 prospects, it’s worth it. He wants to play for a winner, so they probably have to make a deep playoff run. 

Yeah.  And they've gone on a bit of a tear recently, it'd be hard to trade him after the little streak they've been on but I don't believe anyone thinks that they're a playoff team.

Would love to be wrong, though.  Ohtani in the playoffs would be must-see TV.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Wait till the off-season for posters -who know better- to make wild speculations about what the notoriously tightwad Angelos family should offer Ohtani when he hits free agency. 

Maybe he’ll be spotted at a Ravens game or something. I can’t wait. 

Not me.    Right now was an intriguing scenario only because his salary remains a fraction of his worth.

I'm just not sure who isn't too good that people feel they just shouldn't be pursued...Snell?   Hader?     Never happen!

3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

The Angels are stupid.  But, whatever.

The trade for Giolito cost them their 2nd and 3rd ranked prospects.. Quero, catcher was 65th MLB ranked and Bush, pitcher, not a top 100

So the Angels have 28/30 ranked farm BEFORE the trade .. after Ohtani signs elsewhere and Trout leave, Angels will be in last for years to come .. dumb because they have little chance of even making the wildcard imho 

2 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

The trade for Giolito cost them their 2nd and 3rd ranked prospects.. Quero, catcher was 65th MLB ranked and Bush, pitcher, not a top 100

So the Angels have 28/30 ranked farm BEFORE the trade .. after Ohtani signs elsewhere and Trout leave, Angels will be in last for years to come .. dumb because they have little chance of even making the wildcard imho 

Trout isn't going anywhere.  Unless he demands a trade.

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Trout isn't going anywhere.  Unless he demands a trade.

I think being in the basement will start to wear thin.. trade in offseason after this “going for it”flames out and Ohtani signs with Dodgers or Giants or Yankees  

Edited by tntoriole

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yeah.  And they've gone on a bit of a tear recently, it'd be hard to trade him after the little streak they've been on but I don't believe anyone thinks that they're a playoff team.

Would love to be wrong, though.  Ohtani in the playoffs would be must-see TV.  

And they get Trout and Rendon back.

Now, how good will Trout be when he gets back? Hamate bone injuries can hurt power. 

But if they can stay around, they have a chance if Trout can be Trout and if the pitching gets better.

You probably don’t really want to see them in a short series.

2 hours ago, waroriole said:

Agree with this. Neither of the prospects they gave up are franchise saving guys. Plus, they already have another bettter prospect at C. Sure the Angels have made some bonehead moves over the years, but I really don't get why everyone's sh*tting on them for going all in while they still have Ohtani. This might be their last hoorah for awhile if they can't lock him up. 

PS) Why hasn't this silly thread been locked? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

And they get Trout and Rendon back.

Now, how good will Trout be when he gets back? Hamate bone injuries can hurt power. 

But if they can stay around, they have a chance if Trout can be Trout and if the pitching gets better.

You probably don’t really want to see them in a short series.

Getting Trout back should be a shot in the arm for them.  Rendon, despite still somehow being a well-known name,  is kind of a joke.

But even if they do end up getting to the playoffs, the question then becomes if that's enough to keep Ohtani interested in staying in Anaheim?  I think he's gone no matter what, unless somehow the Angels get to the World Series.