You can't clip these wings - City Connect jerseys

Snutchy

19 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

From what it seems, it looks like Nike came up with the slogan and they had him write around it.  At least, that's my interpretation from this article:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/37704283/baltimore-orioles-city-connect-uniforms

The uniform also features the slogan "You Can't Clip These Wings" -- a melody created by Baltimore-based poet and author Kondwani Fidel meant to embody the city's perseverance. To coincide with the uniform reveal, Fidel wrote a poem with the uniform's slogan.

Ok, but they need to play Broken Wings when the Orioles play in their City Connect jerseys at OPACY.

3 hours ago, Moshagge3 said:

The second that heinous Rockies uniform was placed first was the end of that article for me. lol 

Uniforms are always in the eye of the beholders. Personally, I find these drab and boring. But the people that make these decisions are always worried about virtue signaling vs creating an actual good looking uniform. The Orioles have great colors in black and orange. Ditching the orange is a mistake in my opinion.  

I'll be honest though, most of these uniforms have been awful. Not "Turn Ahead the Clock" awful, but not going to sell a lot of copies except to those extreme fans that want every jersey bad.  So far the only ones I

I've liked are the Mariners and Reds. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m reading on Twitter that people who live outside the city “just don’t get” how great these unis are for people who do live in the city. 

I think its more "they made an attempt to make deep-cut references to the city and not the Baltimore area" Like, the whole pastel colored neighborhood thing is a direct reference to those maps  - one in particular is in like half of city classrooms and the colors they chose for the collar and cuffs is a direct call to that as well as Graffiti Alley (attached) which is its own little deep-cut local thing that makes cameos in every Baltimore rapper music video, hosts a lot of art-and community- and music stuff and is definitely a "if you know, you know," reference. 

you can clearly see the influence in the colors there. 

The thing is, it is a uniform as a metaphor - which I get and is cool and all, but I'm not sure it works as a jersey so much. They shot their shot, I get what they were trying to do it doesn't entirely work for me but I don't hate it.  

graffiti-alley-station-north-arts-entertainment-district-baltimore-maryland-147439343.jpg

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

The second that heinous Rockies uniform was placed first was the end of that article for me. lol 

Uniforms are always in the eye of the beholders. Personally, I find these drab and boring. But the people that make these decisions are always worried about virtue signaling vs creating an actual good looking uniform. The Orioles have great colors in black and orange. Ditching the orange is a mistake in my opinion.  

I'll be honest though, most of these uniforms have been awful. Not "Turn Ahead the Clock" awful, but not going to sell a lot of copies except to those extreme fans that want every jersey bad.  So far the only ones I

I've liked are the Mariners and Reds. 

See I find the Reds' jersey nearly illegible. But to each their own. 

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m reading on Twitter that people who live outside the city “just don’t get” how great these unis are for people who do live in the city. 

Whatever. I'm not quite sure how you read Twitter without actually suffering a stroke. :D 

If people who live in the city love it, great. This was like so many other ideas that was trying to make a point vs making a good looking uniform. Since this was "city connect" I can understand not going with a Maryland flag theme, though that would have rocked!

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I am simultaneously more than happy to live outside the city and more than happy that City Connect jerseys make people who don't happy. 

Whatever floats your boat, baby. Just keep winning baseball games you can wear friggin' bath robes for all I care. 

On 2/28/2023 at 11:05 AM, Tony-OH said:

I literally was about to say the other thing. Who in the hell wants to wear these ugly things?

I'm with you Tony...the entire "city"uniform is an insult to the proud tradition of Oriole logos and uniforms...I admit it, Im a hopeless "old school" "get off my lawn" guy when it comes to logos and tradition..if theres only ONE thing I admire about the Yankees, its their refusal to cash in on hideous changes in uniforms or their logos. I get that Nike is trying to make money...but this gear is absolutely disgusting and almost disrespectful.

• Upvote 3

The B looks dumb and lazy and the uniforms overall are pretty disappointing.  Oh well, better luck next year on that front.  Overall the Orioles have among the best uniforms and alternates.  At least its not camopinkribbon.    

• Upvote 1

Maybe this needs its own thread but I echo the sentiments of whoever said we need to replace Thank God I'm a Country Boy for 7th inning stretch.

Enough already.  It was barely tolerable in the 70's/80's, but just play something else for heaven's sake... I'll take pretty much anything at this point...

2 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I am simultaneously more than happy to live outside the city and more than happy that City Connect jerseys make people who don't happy. 

Whatever floats your boat, baby. Just keep winning baseball games you can wear friggin' bath robes for all I care. 

Can they at least be orange and black robes?