You can't clip these wings - City Connect jerseys

Snutchy

48 minutes ago, ledzepp8 said:

Kind of blah. They look better being worn than they did in the leak. I wish they would have least made the Baltimore orange instead of white. 

The Black & White is part of the theme... this is from the Orioles City Connect web page: 

"From the outside, it looks all black and white.  But there's always more to our story. In art, black doesn't exist without color.  You can't see what you're not looking for.  Threaded from the artistic tapestry of our City, the palette is like our people:  colorful, vibrant and quirky."

Just now, BRobinsonfan said:

The Black & White is part of the theme... this is from the Orioles City Connect web page: 

"From the outside, it looks all black and white.  But there's always more to our story. In art, black doesn't exist without color.  You can't see what you're not looking for.  Threaded from the artistic tapestry of our City, the palette is like our people:  colorful, vibrant and quirky."

This is stupid.

"You can't see what you're not looking for."  So let's remind everyone that Baltimore has a drab reputation by creating a drab uniform with some vibrant colors underneath that no one's really going to see.  

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, MCO'sFan said:

Overall, I like it. As others have said, they should have put Charm City on the front. 

I would have loved Charm City on the front as well... here's the explanation of the "Baltimore Across the Chest" from the web page:  

Baltimore stretches fearlessly across the front of the jersey.  We're not hiding behind a catchy nickname, and we don't shy away. We are  Baltimore.  The bold typeface is inspired by the Globe Collection and Press at Maryland Institute College of Art (MICA) and our homegrown arts scene.  The speckled details and imperfections represent the shared grit the Orioles and the Baltimore community possess."  

Until I read this, I didn't even realize there were imperfections and "speckled details" in the script.

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/fans/city-connect?fbclid=IwAR0xNcCk9QBnbiSceW1owZCBTqpz4o8YPm-a2q6ZkX7xTeXPbLxk-zl6-V8

image.thumb.png.871bec7206cd276aa88f011ccef22482.png

Edited by BRobinsonfan
  • Thanks 1

Just now, BRobinsonfan said:

I would have loved Charm City on the front as well... here's the explanation of the "Baltimore Across the Chest" from the web page:  

Baltimore stretches fearlessly across the front of the jersey.  We're not hiding behind a catchy nickname, and we don't shy away. We are  Baltimore.  The bold typeface is inspired by the Globe Collection and Press at Maryland Institute College of Art (MICA) and our homegrown arts scene.  The speckled details and imperfections represent the shared grit the Orioles and the Baltimore community possess."  

Until I read this, I didn't even realize there were imperfections and "speckled details" in the script.

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/fans/city-connect?fbclid=IwAR0xNcCk9QBnbiSceW1owZCBTqpz4o8YPm-a2q6ZkX7xTeXPbLxk-zl6-V8

OUR NAME IS OUR NAME DAMMIT!!!  WE ARE MORE THAN THE WIRE AND DON'T YOU FORGET IT!!!

• Haha 1

Nike designs what they want to design and backs their way into the BS "storytelling" later. Wow, real deep, there's more to Baltimore than meets the eye.

We have to power through nine dates this year (mostly Friday home games), and then hopefully they will switch to white pants (as the Dodgers and Rockies have done with their originally-monochrome CCs).

The hat could have been alright with an orange logo, but these aren't meant to look good, and hoping for any positive design elements to come out of these is setting oneself up for disappointment.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, BRobinsonfan said:

Thanks for the context. I noticed the speckled details on the jersey Hays was wearing. There was clearly a lot of thought put into it and they were going for the edgy theme but I still think Charm City would have been better. 

You can't clip these wings, but you can also make a pretty boring jersey overall.  

Like I said, it's not as bad as I thought it'd be once you see it on the players.  It's not as bad as the initial leak lead me to believe, but it's still really underwhelming.  The more I read these little design inspirations, the sillier it becomes.  I don't care where the font came from or what it was inspired by, BALTIMORE splashed across a black jersey with some speckles is still boring no matter how you cut it.

It's like the City Connect team at Nike was like "Whew...well, we're at the end.  We've designed jerseys and hats for almost all the major league teams and the last ones are for...oh, the Orioles?  Let's just get this over with, no one's gonna care.  Finish line is in sight, let's go!" and then just came up with the most boring thing they could.

• Upvote 1