Grayson Optioned

waroriole

19 minutes ago, gtman55 said:

It's the right move. If we were still in 100 loss mode, on the job training is fine. But we're a contending team and it's clear he's not ready to dominate major league pitchers. At this point, I'd plug in Cole Irvin in his rotation spot.

Side note: What kind of weak lineup is this for tonight's game?

C Mullins (L) CF
A Rutschman (S) DH
A Hays (R) LF
R Mountcastle (R) 1B
R Urías (R) 3B
J McCann (R) C
A Frazier (L) 2B
R McKenna (R) RF
J Mateo (R) SS

This is our standard RHB stack vs LHP. You could argue for Santander in RF but McKenna has hit well and is a much better outfielder. He and Gunnar will undoubtedly get in the game as PH.

26 minutes ago, gtman55 said:

It's the right move. If we were still in 100 loss mode, on the job training is fine. But we're a contending team and it's clear he's not ready to dominate major league pitchers. At this point, I'd plug in Cole Irvin in his rotation spot.

C Mullins (L) CF
A Rutschman (S) DH
A Hays (R) LF
R Mountcastle (R) 1B
R Urías (R) 3B
J McCann (R) C
A Frazier (L) 2B
R McKenna (R) RF
J Mateo (R) SS

The weak spot in the lineup is McCann.  But they aren't going to catch AR everyday.  Hyde thinks McKenna hits lefties better than Santander.  

What would you change?  

6 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

This is our standard RHB stack vs LHP. You could argue for Santander in RF but McKenna has hit well and is a much better outfielder. He and Gunnar will undoubtedly get in the game as PH.

Just because it's "standard" doesn't mean it isn't weak. The lineups against lefties have been a problem all season, the team just hasn't really paid for it yet. 

That lineup is the biggest reason for bringing up Westburg. He'd immediately be an upgrade offensively (whether it's for McCann when he starts as a DH, Frazier at 2B, or McKenna in RF) and lengthen the lineup against lefties.

Also, has McKenna really hit well? .273/.317/.735 is nothing special, especially considering it includes a red hot two or three week stretch of limited and inconsistent at bats. He's just two or three more 0-4 games from having a bad stat line. Lots of posters on this board were fooled by a small sample size, and ignored McKenna's established track record of poor production as a hitter prior to this season. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brooks The Great said:

Just because it's "standard" doesn't mean it isn't weak. The lineups against lefties have been a problem all season, the team just hasn't really paid for it yet. 

That lineup is the biggest reason for bringing up Westburg. He'd immediately be an upgrade offensively (whether it's for McCann when he starts as a DH, Frazier at 2B, or McKenna in RF) and lengthen the lineup against lefties.

Also, has McKenna really hit well? .273/.317/.735 is nothing special, especially considering it includes a red hot two or three week stretch of limited and inconsistent at bats. He's just two or three more 0-4 games from having a bad stat line. Lots of posters on this board were fooled by a small sample size, and ignored McKenna's established track record of poor production as a hitter prior to this season. 

Sure I'd love to see Westburg. For now this is about the lineup I'd expect vs LHP, with the exception of Santander. 

The way the roster is constructed the lineup really doesn't matter since Hyde will empty the bench and play almost everyone in every game, and everyone will get AB's. 

50 minutes ago, gtman55 said:

C Mullins (L) CF
A Rutschman (S) DH
A Hays (R) LF
R Mountcastle (R) 1B
R Urías (R) 3B
J McCann (R) C
A Frazier (L) 2B
R McKenna (R) RF
J Mateo (R) SS

Gunnar can't hit lefties.

9 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

The O's have a better OPS vs lefties than righties (.791 vs .732) and better record vs lefty starters than righty starters (14-6 vs 19-12).

So, why are the vs lefty lineups a problem? I also want to bring up Westburg but it's just wrong to say facing lefty starters is a problem for the team right now.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SilverRocket said:

The silver lining here is we'll have him for an extra year. He has no shot at ROY for the draft pick at this point, so I imagine he'll stay down for a month.

Agree. He doesn't deserve to be in the rotation pitching the way he's been, so those are the breaks. I mean, he saw what happened to Irvin who was an established veteran. Fix his command and hopefully get called up soon. Hopefully GR and Hall can motivate each other. 

I can't argue against his demotion, but I wonder if having him pitch in long relief when he was recalled would have been more beneficial.  I still think that helps young pitchers become acclimated to MLB.  It's just not done anymore.

• Upvote 1