A dangerous time

Frobby

1 minute ago, Pickles said:

Don't want to hear it.  He's a professional.  He's here solely to hit.

It's not affecting Austin Hays.  Or Santander.  Or Urias.  Or anybody else.

Sure it is. Hays hit a ball the other day that was a homer in every park in the MLB except Camden yards. 

1 minute ago, Mr-splash said:

Sure it is. Hays hit a ball the other day that was a homer in every park in the MLB except Camden yards. 

Did he curl up in a ball afterwards and have an obp% of 271 for the season afterwards?

Or did he move on and have a good at bat next time like a professional?

Just now, Pickles said:

Did he curl up in a ball afterwards and have an obp% of 271 for the season afterwards?

Or did he move on and have a good at bat next time like a professional?

That's a strawman. You said the wall has no effect any anybody. That is not true. 

Starting pitching has and will continue to be the issue

We could have signed Bassitt or Wacha in the offseason.

With Means not coming back and Grayson not a ML contributor (this year) things are going to get ugly

We'll see how much Elias is willing to give up to stabilize the rotation.

1 minute ago, Pickles said:

Well then let's not sympathize and excuse Mountcastle's performance with speculation about how much the wall is "messing" with him.

But he looks so sad when he can’t call you on his cellphone after a HR. He’s so unlucky…🙄

12 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Starting pitching has and will continue to be the issue

We could have signed Bassitt or Wacha in the offseason.

With Means not coming back and Grayson not a ML contributor (this year) things are going to get ugly

We'll see how much Elias is willing to give up to stabilize the rotation.

Don't count Grayson out for contributing in MLB this year. Remember just last year Bradish was awful for a couple months, then spent a month off the roster on IL/rehab, then was great for two months when he returned. 

On that question of what Elias will give up, I understand those who say they'll believe it when they see it, but I fully expect an infielders/prospects-for-SP trade at the deadline. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, I think that's right.  To put it another way, the season is exactly 1/3 over and the O's are on a 102-win pace.   They are not a 102-win team.  But, they have a nice head start on a very good season and definitely can have one.  Right now I'm just worried about the short term, with a lot of our regulars a bit cold right now and one of the few hot ones out of the lineup for a bit.   Some folks need to step it up.  

This is right on. The Orioles are not a 102-win team as constructed now and losing Mullins is certainly not helpful, especially when his best replacement (Cowser) is on the IL as well. 

Obviously, the offense has been struggling of late and no one has stepped up to put the on their backs a bit and help. I'm hoping Rutschman is starting to break out of his mini funk (.231/.344/.365/.710 over past 14 games and 61 PAs) and maybe Santander is starting to rumble a bit. But there are too many holes in this lineup, particularly when we face left-handed pitching. 

If the Orioles can tread water while Mullins is out I'll be happy.

12 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Well then let's not sympathize and excuse Mountcastle's performance with speculation about how much the wall is "messing" with him.

I think Mountcastle is kind of a convenient whipping boy at the moment.  Granted, his OBP has been stubbornly low so far this year, but his power numbers are good.   He’s always been a streaky hitter.  Last year he had 3 months with an OBP under .300; in 2021 he had 4.   In the past, he’s also had hot months with OBP’s like .362, 382, .397.  So, I don’t think two low OBP months dooms him to be sub-.300 for the year.  It could happen, but it doesn’t have to.

The last two years, at the 54 game mark Mountcastle had an OPS of .628 in 2021 (OBP .255), .719 in 2022 (OBP of .303).  Both years, he had a really good June.  We’ll see how it goes this year.  

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Are we no longer considering the data supporting him being one of the unluckiest batters in MLB this year? I guess at some point but it is what it is but you’d expect better results.

Interesting to consider Mountcastle’s performance and estimation on this board vs our expectations of our top notch prospects. We were CONFIDENTLY assured for years that we *knew* Mountcastle would hit.