Wednesday, May 31: Homestand and the month of May end with rubber match vs Guardians

SteveA

Just now, Tony-OH said:

This board properly polices itself. When you get six downvotes and someone makes sure you understand that's nor acceptable, maybe take that advice vs complaining. 

True, I'm going to have to conform to the culture here to keep posting. It's a culture shock for me, was not expecting this. 

1 minute ago, TheWall said:

I'd be pretty surprised if Hyde had 0 control over the lineup day to day. 

We've been over this 100 times, but even Hyde has said he's given "input" into the lineup. Elias has said the same thing but said Hyde has final say. I'd say Hyde would make adjustments for injury, illness or other types of personal issues but takes what is given to him 99% of the time. He hasn't kept his job this long by bucking the sigbot nerds.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Mr-splash said:

True, I'm going to have to conform to the culture here to keep posting. It's a culture shock for me, was not expecting this. 

It's certainly not the wild wild west of social media.

The game thread is much more lenient but again the board members will let you know when you've gone too far. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, TheWall said:

I'd be pretty surprised if Hyde had 0 control over the lineup day to day. 

I would be very, very surprised if the daily lineup wasn't first spit out by the computer every day.  Is Hyde consulted afterward with his input factored in before final submission?  Perhaps, but lineup optimization is something that complex datasets were designed to chew on.

12 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

Over/under on the amount of pitchers used today...5? A potential position player as well?

Yeah, I would have tried to get more out of Akin.

On the bright side there is over 52 hours after this game before our next game, so it's almost like getting 2 days off in a row.   No matter who pitches today, all hands will probably be available Friday night in Pac Bell Park.

1 minute ago, 24fps said:

I would be very, very surprised if the daily lineup wasn't first spit out by the computer every day.  Is Hyde consulted afterward with his input factored in before final submission?  Perhaps, but lineup optimization is something that complex datasets were designed to chew on.

Yeah, I've heard all the interviews about how the analytics folks provide Hyde with data (and most likely an "optimal lineup") before each game. I'd just be surprised if he was taking that as gospel everyday -- even if that's just moving a few folks up and down. There is potential for a middle ground.