Trade targets: Starters and Bullpen

Matt S

3 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

If only…lol

In all seriousness, Cease has not thrown the ball too well this year and the CHI SOX are trying to climb back in their division race. So, I don’t think Cease is under consideration by either team.

Does the organization's magic with pitching only work on waiver wire arms like Voth or can it improve a guy w/ ace potential like Cease or ahem, even Gray Rod?

12 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Does the organization's magic with pitching only work on waiver wire arms like Voth or can it improve a guy w/ ace potential like Cease or ahem, even Gray Rod?

I don't see any evidence of "pitching magic". You are going to have to help me out there. Voth hasn't been very good this year.

18 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I don't see any evidence of "pitching magic". You are going to have to help me out there. Voth hasn't been very good this year.

Yeah I haven't seen too much of it, but I guess Bautista would be another example going from single A to closer in a few months.

2 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Fair enough. 

Wells' changeup improvement has helped him a ton this year too.  He's gone from a borderline back of the rotation/swing starter type to a solid-plus mid-rotation guy.  Per fWAR, he currently sits at #45 best WAR of SPs.  (Gibson sits at #40 behind JoMo and just ahead of Bieber/Cease fwiw.)  

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Wells' changeup improvement has helped him a ton this year too.  He's gone from a borderline back of the rotation/swing starter type to a solid-plus mid-rotation guy.  Per fWAR, he currently sits at #45 best WAR of SPs.  (Gibson sits at #40 behind JoMo and just ahead of Bieber/Cease fwiw.)  

Wells has improved this year. But I would argue that we saw the arc last year and that this year is naturally built upon last year.

36 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Wells has improved this year. But I would argue that we saw the arc last year and that this year is naturally built upon last year.

Even taking last year's "evidence of 'pitching magic'" off the table, Wells busted his butt this offseason to stay in the rotation and he's doing much better than pretty much anyone expected.  He's getting full credit so far in 2023 from me.

• Upvote 1

I've said before that we're winning above our stat line. I came to that conclusion just eyeballing the stats.  Somebody threw Pythagoras at me.  Turns out the old boy agrees with me.  We're winning 70 points above the Pythagorean estimate.  

With our run differential we should be playing 5650 ball.  So we need to hit more or ptch better.

8 minutes ago, Baltimorecuse said:

I've said before that we're winning above our stat line. I came to that conclusion just eyeballing the stats.  Somebody threw Pythagoras at me.  Turns out the old boy agrees with me.  We're winning 70 points above the Pythagorean estimate.  

With our run differential we should be playing 5650 ball.  So we need to hit more or ptch better.

I’d prefer both :)

10 minutes ago, Baltimorecuse said:

In 2012 didn’t we beat the pythag the whole season by winning a bunch of close games with a great BP?

20 minutes ago, Baltimorecuse said:

That's the bullpen.  IMO if Grayson and Hall aren't looking like they will be in our September rotation, then we should convert them to relievers in August.  

3 hours ago, Baltimorecuse said:

Teams with superior pens tend to outperform.   Moreover their record in one run games isn’t nutty.  They probably are over-performing but it might not be as much as it appears at first blush.