Tuesday June 6: Orioles at Milwaukee

FlaO'sFan

Defensive positioning question:

I notice that with nobody on base and a ball hit to the wall in left, Mountacstle follows the runner all the way to second while the second baseman filters off the base into deep SS area.  Is this common?  I was always taught that the 1B follows the runner but aligns himself with whoever fields the ball in LF and stops short about halfway between 1B and 2B as a safety backup for a throw to 2B. 

Just now, Yossarian said:

I notice that with nobody on base and a ball hit to the wall in left, Mountacstle follows the runner all the way to second while the second baseman filters off the base into deep SS area.  Is this common?  I was always taught that the 1B follows the runner but aligns himself with whoever fields the ball in LF and stops short about halfway between 1B and 2B as a safety backup for a throw to 2B. 

I thought the first baseman was covering 2B in case the runner strayed too far off the bag towards 3B

1 minute ago, Yossarian said:

It’s just the only chance Mountcastle has to run the bases lately.