What made Gunnar the #1 prospect in baseball and where is that guy?

Matt S

4 minutes ago, baltfan said:

It is really reminiscent of Julio Rodriguez last year. 

I was thinking that earlier today. If recollection serves correct, JRod took off around the same time last year and never looked back. Hopefully the same will be the case for Gunnar.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

387 Bats with 250+ PA across 2022-2023 - Gunnar 18th in Chase Rate, Julio 320th.

Julio is more dynamic, but I think Gunnar has more of a chance to present a "you can not get him out" challenge to pitchers everywhere.

Gunnar a half year younger.

Curious if you mean more dynamic from a personality perspective?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• I don’t think you have to ignore PEDs.  I think you have to look at it under the context of: 1. PEDs have been part of baseball since the inception and continue to be a part of the game.  They are part of the fabric of the game whether we like it or not. Read any book about baseball from the 20s-70s and PED use was rampant.  2. In his specific era, MLB looked the other way, almost encouraged the use, and almost all players were using PEDs (whether that be needle use or other products).  Even if they weren’t using a banned substance, they were using some type of PED.   3. Players who admitted to usage (or even were very strongly assumed to be users) have never even come close to what he was able to do in every facet of the game.  What he did showed the absolute pinnacle of baseball ability/achievement.  He was the most entertaining player to watch while he was at his peak. The fact that he dwarfed all other players, who were using, in every part of the game (defense, base running, contact ability, swing decision, power) showed his greatness.  He was almost 2x better than the league average player over his career and for a span of 4 years was 2.5X better than the league average player.  He was the greatest player ever and we will never see anything like it again. 
    • I’m all for bringing Mayo up and putting Westburg at 2B whether Mateo is injured or not.   How much do you know about Mateo’s injury?
    • He has been outstanding, and, yes, whoda thunk it?
    • The ROY the year stuff is very debatable. I’d argue we are worse off losing a year of Gunnar Henderson than an extra pick. Now if Cowser won it, that would be different.
    • I know Mateo finished the game but there is absolutely no reason for him to tough it through that game injury. Just bring up Mayo and put Westy at second.
    • Why wouldn’t September days count? I think you were right the first time. https://www.mlb.com/glossary/rules/rookie-eligibility   In any case, I think it’s roster space much more than ROY eligibility holding Mayo in AAA right now. If he’d help them win more games right now he should be called up. If they get closer to a point where they can snag keeping him ROY eligible they may consider it - e.g., if they don’t make space at the trade deadline end of July, maybe they go a couple weeks with somebody else before calling up Mayo mid-August. I think it will naturally work out to have one of Holliday or Mayo be ROY eligible next year but not a priority for either of them. Holliday only had 2 weeks earlier, so I think he could be the callup when rosters expand September 1 and stay under 45 days (and that was perhaps deliberate in the timing of the decision to send him down). But I think, at a minimum, Mayo will be on the postseason roster to be DH vs LHP. We usually use Adley with McCann catching during the regular season, but obviously Adley will catch every game in the playoffs. So Mayo needs to get enough MLB reps to feel comfortable with him in that role at least.  
  • Popular Contributors