And so itbegins

Ginger

17 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

So he is on a 3ish less WAR pace than you expected and that only mildly disappoints you?

Ok I guess. 

I think it's fair to be disappointed by Rutschman so far.  That said, he could bounce back with the bat.  The sample size for results analysis isn't very big.   If he goes 4 for 4 tomorrow and puts his wRC+ back up over 130, are we still upset?

Also, I do think that focusing on the  difference in WAR misses the point a little bit - if Trout put up an 8 WAR season after putting up an 11 WAR season, are you disappointed?  The difference is only meaningful in terms of (reasonable) expectations if the end result significantly changes his stack ranking among other catchers in the league.  In Rutschman's case he goes from, what, the best catcher in the league to li ke the 3rd or 4th best?  He's still irreplaceable.  In Wieters' case he went from a 5.5 win player to a 2 win player, at which point he was just an average catcher.

I'm convinced his usage is contributing to his defensive slump.  He's got the 2nd most game appearances of all catchers in MLB, and the guy above him is only higher because his team has played more games than the O's.  Hyde needs to give him a few more off days.  He is currently on pace for 157 games, which would be the 2nd highest number of games in a season by a catcher as far back as I looked (at least 2010.)  I understand that he's DHing a lot, but I recall reading that catchers need full off days occasionally, and he's not getting them.

Edited by Hallas
  • Thanks 1

On 6/12/2023 at 9:57 AM, Sports Guy said:

I still wonder if he is similar to what Markakis (and probably most hitters) and that he is sacrificing power to try to get on base as the #2 hitter.

People say they would rather have the OBP. That’s wrong in that you can have both but I’ll take the extra 50 points in slugging if it means sacrificing 20 points in OBP.

3 doubles and 2 homers for Adley in his last 6 games.  I guess he heard you.  

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

He got tired of being called a weak ass singles hitter on the Hangout.

I think he just forgot that hitting singles was less gooder than getting extra base hits and Sportsguy just reminded him.

Edited by Can_of_corn
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Not really.  It just sucked for 3 weeks before this last one.  

So the 378 slugging% he had in April was good?

Right around you expectations huh?  Lol. Whatever you say.  Keep moving those goal posts.

Edited by Sports Guy

39 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

So the 378 slugging% he had in April was good?

Right around you expectations huh?  Lol. Whatever you say.  Keep moving those goal posts.

So you’re going to ignore the one game he played in March, and just look at April 1-30, conveniently omitting the game where he went 5 for 5 with a homer?  Fine, if that’s the way you want to play it.  March 30 never happened.  

Adley’s SLG was .443 last year. It’s .437 now.  It was at .448 on May 20, which is the last time he was over last year’s SLG.   He’s in the same SLG ballpark as last year, while his OBP is 25 points higher.  I’m satisfied with his offensive season so far.   He had a three week slump that appears to be over now, and I’m not at all concerned about his power.  

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

So you’re going to ignore the one game he played in March, and just look at April 1-30, conveniently omitting the game where he went 5 for 5 with a homer?  Fine, if that’s the way you want to play it.  March 30 never happened.  

Adley’s SLG was .443 last year. It’s .437 now.  It was at .448 on May 20, which is the last time he was over last year’s SLG.   He’s in the same SLG ballpark as last year, while his OBP is 25 points higher.  I’m satisfied with his offensive season so far.   He had a three week slump that appears to be over now, and I’m not at all concerned about his power.  

Lol. I said what he did in April..which is an entire month but you think it’s cherry picking to omit one game in a different month and that one game is supposed to change the idea that you said he has only not shown power the last 3 weeks?  

That’s complete bs but again, you are doing nothing but moving the goal posts on your preseason thoughts.  You thought he was going to be a 7+ WAR MVP candidate and he isn’t trending at all in that direction. You know this but for some reason you don’t want to admit it, as if it’s some awful thing to say that the team savior is off to a start that we didn’t believe would happen coming off the year he did.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Lol. I said what he did in April..which is an entire month but you think it’s cherry picking to omit one game in a different month and that one game is supposed to change the idea that you said he has only not shown power the last 3 weeks?  

That’s complete bs but again, you are doing nothing but moving the goal posts on your preseason thoughts.  You thought he was going to be a 7+ WAR MVP candidate and he isn’t trending at all in that direction. You know this but for some reason you don’t want to admit it, as if it’s some awful thing to say that the team savior is off to a start that we didn’t believe would happen coming off the year he did.

You have a serious reading comprehension problem.