When is the best time to call up rookies?

Sports Guy

3 minutes ago, 7Mo said:

I think depending on too many rookies at once is a valid concern.

At the same time, for as smart and detailed as Elias and Sig are, they had to see this coming, right? Couldn't you be very sure that Ortiz and Westburg were ready or at least very, very close to ready? I can't understand why one of Ortiz/Westburg isn't up and playing everyday along with Cowser. 

I'm also baffled about why a left handed hitter at 2B was so important. But if it's balancing the lineup, we now have a left handed hitting first baseman so maybe Ortiz/Westburg/Urias at second works now? Adding Cowser should make balancing even easier. 

I'm a big fan of Elias and Sig but running Mateo and Frazier every day and not giving playing time to Ortiz/Westburg and Cowser is baffling to me. 

And if you're not going to play "too many rookies" this year, what happens next year with Kjerstad, Mayo, Holliday, Fabian, etc?

Play those vets until it is time to trade them for a decent return. In the mean time, develop players at AAA.  Our W/L record is still damn good. No need to rush to fix something that isn't  broken (that badly yet).

• Confused 1

With the idea that rookies tend to struggle in mind, I’m not totally against wanting to bring in guys gradually. Let one rookie start and struggle at a time. Once they get past that initial learning phase, you bring up the next guy that’s ready. 

For us right now, that means we should either bring up Westburg to get regular starts, or let Ortiz get regular starts if they don’t want to start Westburg’s clock quite yet. I believe Westburg needs to be on the 40 man roster this off-season, so the only reason I can see for them not bringing him up yet would be to preserve his rookie status for next year in hopes of getting draft picks if he gets rookie of the year. If that’s what they want to do, I’d hope that they add him and Cowser to the 40 man roster in time to be playoff eligible for this year. 

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

Why bring up more rookies when Ortiz is up and just sitting on the bench. It’s not about bringing guys up it’s about getting guys up with a plan to get them regular at bats and set them up to be successful. Watching Ortiz just sit on the bench is incredibly frustrating. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, RarityFlaherty said:

With the idea that rookies tend to struggle in mind, I’m not totally against wanting to bring in guys gradually. Let one rookie start and struggle at a time. Once they get past that initial learning phase, you bring up the next guy that’s ready. 

For us right now, that means we should either bring up Westburg to get regular starts, or let Ortiz get regular starts if they don’t want to start Westburg’s clock quite yet. I believe Westburg needs to be on the 40 man roster this off-season, so the only reason I can see for them not bringing him up yet would be to preserve his rookie status for next year in hopes of getting draft picks if he gets rookie of the year. If that’s what they want to do, I’d hope that they add him and Cowser to the 40 man roster in time to be playoff eligible for this year. 

Couldn’t agree more. Gunnar is settled in it’s time to start settling in the next man up which would appear to be Ortiz since he is on the active roster. If we are not going to play him then send up Westburg or cowser and let them get regular at bats. 

3 minutes ago, 2001OriolesFan said:

Play those vets until it is time to trade them for a decent return. In the mean time, develop players at AAA.  Our W/L record is still damn good. No need to rush to fix something that isn't  broken (that badly yet).

I agree with that thought in general terms. Believing that Frazier and Mateo will have trade value over the next 5 weeks is something I don't agree with. 

At this point, they are who they are. They won't lose value sitting on the bench the next 5 weeks.

7 minutes ago, RarityFlaherty said:

Is a struggling rookie going to bring less to the table than a struggling Frazier or Mateo?  At least with the rookies you have future value.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Is a struggling rookie going to bring less to the table than a struggling Frazier or Mateo?  At least with the rookies you have future value.

Exactly... what is the difference between a struggling vet or rookie? At least they know the ceiling is pretty low for the vets I guess.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I hate to agree with you but I keep saying the same thing although I keep hoping Mateo has upside.

There is one possible exception.  There maybe some skill the organization wants improved that can be worked on better in the minors than in the pressure of the big show.  

39 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Elias?

Who is the only person who gets a vote.

39 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Well, Elias.    Based on the Julio Bonus pick slot value and Steve Cohen's 5X estimate on pool dollars real world value (a candor comment I think I generally believe), Cowser or Kjerstad as an overqualified 2024 Rookie of the Year is a $10M asset.     We'll see if Gunnar can run down his opponents....I believe there is still an award if he repeats Adley 2nd place as Gunnar was on Opening Day roster, Top 100 lists, etc.

I hope Cowser and Kjerstad are here yesterday too, but I think triangulation happening even though it will cost us something in September or later this year.

It’s a dumb thing for Elias to care about, unless he wants to see one of these guys win Rookie of the Year, which would be a dumb thing for him to care about. And if he wants to see one of these guys win ROTY, then they should break camp with the team after ST in order to have the most amount of playing time to win. 

3 minutes ago, Baltimorecuse said:

I hate to agree with you but I keep saying the same thing although I keep hoping Mateo has upside.

There is one possible exception.  There maybe some skill the organization wants improved that can be worked on better in the minors than in the pressure of the big show.  

I mean, his upside is a mid .600 OPS as his career would indicate. He just gets there in a weird way. An MVP type OPS for a spell, and then a AAAA guy for stretch.

37 minutes ago, RarityFlaherty said:

With the idea that rookies tend to struggle in mind...

Problem is this isn't really true.  It's a myth that all rookies tend to struggle.  Some do,  of course, but many others don't.   Until we give them a chance we really have no way of knowing if our rookies will struggle or hit the ground running as Elly has done. 

6 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

Problem is this isn't really true.  It's a myth that all rookies tend to struggle.  Some do,  of course, but many others don't.   Until we give them a chance we really have no way of knowing if our rookies will struggle or hit the ground running as Elly has done. 

I started the thread on Elly so I'm obviously a fan but I do expect him to run into some issues at some point.

Kinda like how Gunnar started really strong last season and fell off late.