If the Orioles DFA’d Mateo…

Sports Guy

Mateo DFA  

115 members have voted

1. 1. What would be your reaction if the Os DFA’d Mateo?

• It’s about time!
    • What are they thinking!?!?
    • Wouldn’t really care either way
    • I get it but don’t agree with it

1 minute ago, forphase1 said:

I went with I wouldn't care either way.   I think he still has value as a backup/defensive replacement/pinch runner.  But my fear of keeping him on the team is the desire by whomever makes the lineup to keep starting him.   I'd rather us DFA him than to keep starting him 4+ times a week.  Best options are to trade him or make him seriously a part time player,  but I doubt the team will do that,  though I hope they do. 

Yea, I wouldn’t care either because we have another elite defensive SS and Henderson may be able to play at a well above average level too.

So the defensive part is negated for me.

So, you are keeping him just to pinch run.

Now, I don’t think the Os are committed to benching him at all, so this is a moot point but for discussion purposes and the idea of saying, we are playing Westburg and Ortiz at least 4-5 times a week, I can see the the idea of DFA’ing if you can’t trade him.

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He’s one of the most confusing players I’ve ever watched.  Plenty of guys can’t hit.  But you rarely if ever see one of those guys put up a 1.062 OPS for a month, or an .887 OPS for two months as he did last year.  He’s the most Jeckyll and Hyde guy I’ve ever seen.  

Mark Reynolds lol

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

I would not be on board with that move at all. He is the exact kind of player contenders add at the trade deadline for depth speed / defense. We are a contender, why would we let this kind of guy go? 

Now do this thread over with Frazier. 

I would definitely DFA Mateo before Frazier. 

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Yea, I wouldn’t care either because we have another elite defensive SS and Henderson may be able to play at a well above average level too.

I think Ortiz is probably a shade below Mateo defensively.  Though Mateo himself hasn’t been quite as good as last year.  

Just now, Frobby said:

I think Ortiz is probably a shade below Mateo defensively.  Though Mateo himself hasn’t been quite as good as last year.  

Who knows. My guess is the difference wouldn’t be that measurable if Ortiz is as good as advertised.

And yes, of course Mateo peaked last year. Felt that way all offseason. He’s still very good but so was Yolmer Sanchez. The glove can’t be the only thing if you are an absolutely train wreck hitting.

Whats frustrating about Mateo is the tools are off the chart, so you look at him and you watch him and you say, he has to be better.

1 minute ago, Hank Scorpio said:

You mean Frazier before Mateo, I presume… no?

No..I would much rather have Frazier. Frazier has more value as a hitter than Mateo does a runner.

Mateo has more value overall BUT again, the defense is negated in this scenario.

So, we are talking about part time bench guys and the bit roles they play.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

No..I would much rather have Frazier. Frazier has more value as a hitter than Mateo does a runner.

Mateo has more value overall BUT again, the defense is negated in this scenario.

So, we are talking about part time bench guys and the bit roles they play.

Yeah I don’t think it’s all that impactful either way, but as you are well aware Frazier is atrocious at the plate. He has had some clutch hits but he’s no good either.

I think Mateo is actually more valuable because if someone gets hurt, Mateo is an above average defensive replacement. Frazier is just a dude you throw out there who is likely to make contact. Weak contact most of the time, but contact.

Its moot as neither of them are being DFA’d at this point.

• Upvote 1

If Mateo was utilized a bit differently, he could fit a very niche role very well. If he can play a passable CF then you’ve got the perfect 26th player. Defensive sub and pinch runner. The issue is that the O’s are playing him as if he is a starting SS. Yes, he fields the position well but he is pretty much useless with the bat. The best utilization would be to have him PR in a late and close game. A player with his speed is very useful on a team that wants to find whatever way they can to win games.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

What MLB teams are going to give a starting position to a guy that has a 69 OPS+ (78 career)

Andrelton Simmons, by comparison, had a career OPS+ of 87.

How many MLB starters hit that poorly?

He hits better than Mark Belanger did.  Of course Belanger was probably the second greatest defensive SS in history.  

7 minutes ago, oriole said:

If Mateo was utilized a bit differently, he could fit a very niche role very well. If he can play a passable CF then you’ve got the perfect 26th player. Defensive sub and pinch runner. The issue is that the O’s are playing him as if he is a starting SS. Yes, he fields the position well but he is pretty much useless with the bat. The best utilization would be to have him PR in a late and close game. A player with his speed is very useful on a team that wants to find whatever way they can to win games.

+1, I would keep him as a pinch runner and defensive replacement guy. Get rid of Frazier before Mateo. For now optioning McKenna or Ortiz makes the most sense.

11 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Yeah I don’t think it’s all that impactful either way, but as you are well aware Frazier is atrocious at the plate. He has had some clutch hits but he’s no good either.

I think Mateo is actually more valuable because if someone gets hurt, Mateo is an above average defensive replacement. Frazier is just a dude you throw out there who is likely to make contact. Weak contact most of the time, but contact.

It’s moot as neither of them are being DFA’d at this point.

I can see the idea of wanting Mateo in case of an injury.

Frazier  isn’t a good hitter but I also don’t mind him up there in clutch situations and I feel he will give us a good at bat. He can work the count well.

Now, understand something..in both cases, I feel like we are reaching for reasons to keep either guy as the 26th man. Neither reason is overly valuable over a season but in the playoffs, either could be very valuable in a short series and certain situations.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

So, you are keeping him just to pinch run.

Now, I don’t think the Os are committed to benching him at all, so this is a moot point but for discussion purposes and the idea of saying, we are playing Westburg and Ortiz at least 4-5 times a week, I can see the the idea of DFA’ing if you can’t trade him.

I think the O's will send Ortiz down to make room for Westburg.