Snell/Hader package

Sports Guy

Does Quantrill have any value? I don't think that they could give him away. 

You might not want Bieber (to be honest I'm not that high on him myself) but he is the way that they are going to want to try to move.

Same is true for MIA there is no way they are moving Perez. Same is true for the Rays, there is no way they are moving Bradley. True for the Reds with Abbott, etc.

21 minutes ago, bluedog said:

Looks like Cleveland has two near major league ready Top 100 prospects (Espino and Gavin Williams - who's already up) and 6 solid starters (Bieber, McKenzie, Quantrill, Civale, Logan Allen and Bibee). They desperately need hitting, so it looks like there could be a fit between the O's and the Guards. Good one.

Williams is already in the bigs and they are not moving him under any condition unless we are giving up one of our very high end guys. Probably would take Cowser for them to even consider. McKenzie is hurt and Quantrill stinks this year. They might not be as pitching rich as it first appears.

The pitching on this team has slid in quality to the point where I think it's a bad idea to trade for  rentals.  There's not enough good pitching on this team to believe one or two rentals will make enough difference in the playoffs (if we get there) relative to the price in prospects we'll have to pay to acquire them.  Even the bullpen is looking very suspect now.  

Better to trade for one or two pitchers that have at least another year on their contract or make no trades for pitching until the offseason. 

• 2 weeks later...

https://theathletic.com/4672688/2023/07/07/padres-trade-deadline-juan-soto/?source=user_shared_article

An article about the decision the Padres have this deadline. The prevailing thought is that they won’t sell and that they could go for a WC spot because they are talented enough to turn it on.

Definitely could happen and I would bet on this being the outcome but a lot can change in the next 3 weeks.