Snell/Hader package

Sports Guy

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well, everything hasn’t come together for him. His whiff% still isn’t great. His BABIP is a little on the lucky side. His numbers indicate he’s more of a 3-3.5 ERA guy, which is where Snell is.

Even if you believe that he is a full run or a run and a half worse than he has been, before the injury he was AVERAGING about 6 1/3 innings per start. That's the kind of guy that we need. If we have a starter keeping us in the game into the 7th inning consistently, we will win most of those games because of our great the back end of our bullpen is.

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

As a side note… if $30 million buys you Hader and Snell, we might as well just give Ohtani $50 million per this offseason. 

No thanks to either. There is no world of reality where the awful evil Angelos empire can or even will try to outbid Steve Cohen.

41 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Heck yeah I'd be interested in that. As always depends on the cost. I wonder if Basallo is someone they would be interested in? Their C's are hitting .140 and .200. 

Their 2nd best prospect is Ethan Salas, he's 17 and holding his own in A ball and a top 50ish prospect. Basallo is 19 at the same level and obviously doing a bit better but Salas has some great grades and might be a guy who gets to the majors at a young age depending on how aggressive they are with him, and 17 at A ball is fairly aggressive I suppose.

24 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I hear you on the CHI SOX guys. But none of them has pitched like an ace this season. With the overabundance of org talent that we have, I would like for us to set our sights higher and acquire a pitcher who can matchup with the big boys in the AL postseason. We are going to need that piece along with a good bullpen arm to win 3 rounds in the AL this year. The competition in our league is fierce! IMO we are not going to be able to luck our way through and get hot like the Phillies did last year in the NL. The AL is way to good this year.

A bonafide ace isn't out there to be had. That's not happening this deadline.

24 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I hear you on the CHI SOX guys. But none of them has pitched like an ace this season. With the overabundance of org talent that we have, I would like for us to set our sights higher and acquire a pitcher who can matchup with the big boys in the AL postseason. We are going to need that piece along with a good bullpen arm to win 3 rounds in the AL this year. The competition in our league is fierce! IMO we are not going to be able to luck our way through and get hot like the Phillies did last year in the NL. The AL is way to good this year.

8 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We’re 6.5 up on Hou/LAA for the last WC spot. We’re 4 back from TB for the division. There’s still lots of unknowns before the deadline. 

Is the division in play?  Is Mclanahan out for TB?  Means?  Irvin?  Grayson?  What does the AL Central race look like?  Is a SP that is available even that much better than what we have?  Cost?

Buying a reliever may make more sense. 

However, I’d be cautious if we’re out of the division race, and it’s a seller’s market. Our franchise is geared for a 6-10 year run of winning. After all the losing, I don’t think there will be an arm available to justify it. And when you start buying mediocre talent, you tend to lose those trades. Pearce 2.0. Parra. Feldman. 

A lot is still left to be determined. I'm not sure what the question mark is behind Irvin's name. We already know the answer to that.... He's not good. And he should have ABSOLUTELY NO FACTOR in our postseason plans.

I don't think we need a bonafide ace to compete in the playoffs. You need strong middle relief. Our pitchers have done a very good job of keeping us in games until we get to middle relief. If you're able to shorten the game by having reliable relievers you do not need 7 innings out of your starters to win in the playoffs.

3 minutes ago, deward said:

If Eduardo Rodriguez returns from injury and continues to be the same guy that he was this season, I disagree. He was pitching like a Cy Young candidate pre-injury.

If we could acquire that guy AND a good middle reliever to sure up the 6/7th inning bridge to the back end; I really like our chances against ANYBODY including the Rays.

12 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Even if you believe that he is a full run or a run and a half worse than he has been, before the injury he was AVERAGING about 6 1/3 innings per start. That's the kind of guy that we need. If we have a starter keeping us in the game into the 7th inning consistently, we will win most of those games because of our great the back end of our bullpen is.

Yep..but that’s the most IP he has ever averaged. Not sure it’s sustainable.

2 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

If Eduardo Rodriguez returns from injury and continues to be the same guy that he was this season, I disagree. He was pitching like a Cy Young candidate pre-injury.

If we could acquire that guy AND a good middle reliever to sure up the 6/7th inning bridge to the back end; I really like our chances against ANYBODY including the Rays.

EdRod way out-pitched his career numbers for 11 starts and then got hurt. That's the kind of buy-high deal that I would expect Elias to (rightly) stay well away from. Not to mention, I know he has an opt-out, but if he stays for his whole contract, then he's making the same kind of money that the team wasn't willing to pay out in the off-season. If they weren't willing to give out that kind of contract then, I don't expect them to give up prospects AND take on that kind of contract now.

3 minutes ago, Malike said:

I don't think we need a bonafide ace to compete in the playoffs. You need strong middle relief. Our pitchers have done a very good job of keeping us in games until we get to middle relief. If you're able to shorten the game by having reliable relievers you do not need 7 innings out of your starters to win in the playoffs.

I agree regarding our need for a good middle reliever. But I don't see us coming out of the AL being victorious for 3 rounds with the starting pitching disadvantage that we will face. The odds don't favor our success and IMO we have too much organizational talent to be content being a team that is comfortable with long odds. 

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yep..but that’s the most IP he has ever averaged. Not sure it’s sustainable.

We can acknowledge that this may be a career year for him. I am fine taking that chance if we have to. At least we are seeing him do it as opposed to going with guys who aren't.

11 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

No thanks to either. There is no world of reality where the awful evil Angelos empire can or even will try to outbid Steve Cohen.

Speaking of the Mets… I like David Robertson. Expiring deal. Only signed for 1/10 this past offseason. Would be cheaper than Hader. Wouldn’t get ran wild on like Chapman. He’s a “trusted” vet arm too. Playoff tested.