Wednesday, June 28: Orioles vs Reds, series deciding game

SteveA

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Truth. We were always taught if we fouled a ball off close to the plate jump around like we got hit in the foot to try and get a call. That's what Hicks was doing. The problem is you could clearly hear the ball hit the bat.

Next level would have been to indicate it glanced off the forearm first. 

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Great points. Ortiz probably does make several plays that Frazier did not and Cowser definitely makes those two plays in RF. 

Even Urias might have been better there. But Frazier did tie the game.  Probably got as many runs as he gave up 

7 minutes ago, Baltimorecuse said:

Hicks wasn't supposed to carry this team.   I still like him.

I do too but he's definitely cooling off.

It's interesting that the consensus is that we are old and slow compared to the Reds but I thought we also had a young exciting team. 🤷‍♂️

Guess We just need to cut bait with the old and slower players

Something has to be done about this BP. Not having Givens and Tate has hurt for sure.

Elias needs to make more moves. Look at what Westburg did in just his first 3 games.

Very concerned about Adley's throws.

Looking back, Kyle Gibson wasn't good, but he wasn't really that bad? Reds got two lucky hits in the first, defense couldn't turn a double play, there's three runs. The Reds hit him hard in the second, no doubt. Then Kyle cruises, and a misplay on a bouncer by Frazier costs him some more pitches, and he's taken out in the fifth. Again, not *good*, but the same performance with some better luck is a 6 IP, 3 ER quality start.

8 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

A few take aways from this game...

We should be concerned about Gibson and Akin

Adley and the staff needs to work heard on stopping runners from stealing. Adley needs to work on his throws.

The outfield should be Hays/Mullins/Hicks. Santander should play DH or 1B more often.

Westburg is developing nicely and should continue to play. 

It will be a challenge to get enough playing time for everyone because in spite of the loss, no infielder has stood head and shoulders above the rest. 

One more, as noted previously Adley can't backhand a ball (he isn't crossed up on) with runners on-let alone the 10th with a runner on third.  I'll never question his work ethic but I've seen him do this a few times, can't try to stab at a ball with runners on.

10 hours ago, Pat Kelly said:

100% Tony.  Sometimes when you get go head to head with a more athletic/younger team you get exposed. Os looked old and slow tonight.  Frazier has sub-par range at 2B - a better fielding 2B - Joey Ortiz ? - gets to most of those balls and Reds score 3-4 runs, Os win.  A faster RF probably makes those 10th in plays tonight maybe the game stays tied.   It's weird but OHearn, Hicks, Santander,  Frazier, a reduced Mullins, a tired/fatigued Adley and a few bad pitchers and the team gets out hustled and outplayed by the Reds. 

My first big, depressing lesson in that regard was Super Bowl III.

11 hours ago, dtk9119 said:

The Hicks shine is definitely starting to wear.

He's adapted by walking a lot during this cold streak. Still eager to see what he does against the Yankees, on their dime (hundreds of millions of them).

I was in attendance last night and while there were many exciting "highs", the "lows" seemed to squelch each of them.

Lots of low-profile Reds fans in attendance. Not like how Sox games seem, but noticeable for sure.