Four areas of concern

gtman55

Just now, Sanity Check said:

Because he's not a very good relief pitcher.

Unfortunately, it doesn't appear we have any of these in the minors at this point.   Elias has done a nice job with reclamation projects, but he needs to focus on grabbing some more college bullpen arms this draft. 

2 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

Unfortunately, it doesn't appear we have any of these in the minors at this point.   Elias has done a nice job with reclamation projects, but he needs to focus on grabbing some more college bullpen arms this draft. 

Do many relievers ever go high in the draft?  I'm honestly wondering (and not expecting that you would know).

Being totally honest here, I would consider taking Lopez back from the Twins at this point with a chance he might reconnect, re-energize and find his form again.

4 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

Do many relievers ever go high in the draft?  I'm honestly wondering (and not expecting that you would know).

Being totally honest here, I would consider taking Lopez back from the Twins at this point with a chance he might reconnect, re-energize and find his form again.

Daniel Schlereth (sp) went late first round.  Otter of course went top 5 but that was ages ago.

10 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

I'm not as concerned about where they are drafted.   I know this sounds a bit simplistic, but I think they need to find guys with the "tools", but need refinement.   I look at what they've done with Cano, Bautista, Perez, Coloumbe, and build off of that in their development process for relievers.

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

Of your four areas of concern, lack of clutch or timely hitting hasn’t really been an issue at all.  The team has a .795 OPS with RISP, 4th in the AL and well above .753 league average.  They have an .824 OPS in high leverage situations, 2nd in the league.  

Power, I talked about elsewhere.  We’re 6th in homers per game.  Could be better, but not really a glaring weakness.  

I really can’t argue with your pitching concerns.  

Further, “clutch” hitting is simply luck. The idea that these guys “just aren’t clutch hitters” is an idea from a bygone era.

8 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

Further, “clutch” hitting is simply luck. The idea that these guys “just aren’t clutch hitters” is an idea from a bygone era.

Clutch hitting involves some luck as everything does.  However, clutch hitters more times than not, outnerve their opponents.  And once they have done so, successfully, they can get into the Pitchers head and that works wonders sometimes.  One of the old old timers once said   I would rather be lucky than good,  I would not make a blanket statement like that because even a long run of Luck sooner or later comes to an end.  

4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

11th in slugging, 12th in ISO.

And I’m guessing those numbers are trending down.

My stats were in the AL.  Are yours for MLB?   There’s obviously a big difference in being 11th/12th out of 30 vs. 11th/12th out of 15.

During the 1-5 stretch, the Orioles have

3 hits

10 hits (W)

4 hits

3 hits

6 hits

12 hits

...and so far this game they have 4 hits, 2 of which are HRs.  I don't know if it's about lack of power or timely hitting so much as lack of getting good contact.