Tuesday, July 4th vs. Yankees

Moose Milligan

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

He didn’t pick up the runner. Just assumed. 

Yep. It wasn’t just the throw either. He went at it lackadaisically and wasn’t thinking about a play at the plate, or his feet position on the throw. Otherwise, I’m not sure Torres is even sent. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Obviously Mullins was inexcusable on that play, but when people ask why Mateo keeps getting run at SS, it’s because of plays like that. I’ve watched a lot of Mateo over the past two seasons, and I don’t think that ball gets out of the infield if he’s at short. Not that it’s necessarily a failure by Gunnar — but he just doesn’t have the extraordinary range Mateo does.

I think that's true from observng them both aat SS, but are there data on that?

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

It’s not the Yankees fault that Cedric Mullins temporarily forgot how to play baseball.

It's not, but it seems like the Orioles brain fart so often in Yankee Stadium, I've seen it for years and years.  Maybe it's cause they play them so often.

Just now, dtk9119 said:

Didn't even think of that but yes Mateo probably gets to that ball.

Gibson's walks are killing today 

Yeah, I had no idea that lead-off walks could be a problem until Melanie pointed out that Gibson doesn't like to walk leadoff hitters and even gets angry with himself when he does that. Good to know.