Coby Mayo...Trade Chip?

Answerman

25 minutes ago, deward said:

A healthy Troy Glaus would be a fantastic ceiling. I don't know why you think Glaus was low OBP, he walked 100 times a year at his peak and never less than 80 in any full season of games. He was undone by shoulder and back injuries in his early 30s, so hopefully Mayo can avoid that.

Yup. You are right. I misremembered that he was actually a pretty good on-base guy even though the average was meh. 

I agree. The O’s would be ecstatic to get a healthy/peak Troy Glaus out of Mayo. 

3 hours ago, Answerman said:

We have to face the hard truth. Coby has more value as a trade chip than as an actual player in this system. And, it's really hard to imagine that trade value being any higher than it is right now. It will surely be hard to see a prospect like that go to another team and flourish, but we need another pitcher. He can help bring us a good one, more than a rental. 

I say make the deal!

So, as someone who mentioned Coby Mayo as a possibility, I feel obligated to pump the brakes here.

First, we don't know if Coby has more value as a trade chip than as an actual player in this system.  Part of that is, we don't know what value he has as a trade chip.  We have more of an idea of his value to the system, but still, we don't know who gets hurt or otherwise gets moved off the team ahead of him.  He's a 2025 player correct?  So there's no hard truth here.

Second, he can help us bring a top pitcher in, but we don't know if he will, so we shouldn't say "make the deal" when we have no clue what deal would be in place.  The other team has to agree to it too.

Essentially what I'm saying is, don't trade him unless the offer is good enough, and it needs to be a really good offer.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Answerman said:

I respectfully disagree SG...every guy on the team can move over to 1B if needed. Last night Urias played there. Hell, that's how Mounty got there. He was a very good minor league hitter who couldn't stick at any other IF or OF position. It is indeed the easiest position to fill. That's also why they put Kjerstad and Santander there to keep their bats in the lineup when the OF gets crowded. 

Just because every guy can play 1b, doesn't mean that the team is better when they do.

Mayo is potentially a 40HR guy who could anchor the middle of the order. I don't want middle infielder production (Urias) from 1b - I want peak Rafael Palmeiro production.

As the OP, I have enjoyed reading your comments. Most of you guys lay out nice arguments. Looks like I'm on an island on this one. Despite the many compelling arguments against trading him, I gotta say I'm still inclined to deal him for a stud arm.

Of course, I realize if he turns out to be a consistent .900+ OPS guy and anchors our lineup for years, there would be great value in keeping him. However, I still think we might already have that guy in the organization. Aside from GRod, we don't have that kind of pitcher. There is also a chance - as with all prospects - that he surfaces as a right handed .750 OPS guy. In which case, that trade window will be shut. 

I agree with everyone that Norby, Prieto, Fabian, Beavers, Ortiz and Haskin should always be offered first. But opposing GMs are pretty suave. None of them will get the arm that the current version of Mayo would net.

Thanks for such a fun discussion. Love this board!

• Like 1

"Just because every guy can play 1b, doesn't mean that the team is better when they do."

This is an interesting comment. In fact, I wonder if we are indeed better keeping 1B as an open position, allowing the manager flexibility to get more bats in the lineup against a certain pitcher based on match ups, history, etc. Somebody mentioned not wanting Urias there, but he was kinda the hero last night. O'Hearn has been a wonderful matchup. Santander's bat has been useful. Keeping in mind that putting these guys at 1B means another bat is in their usual position. So when Santander is at 1B, maybe that means both Cowser and Hays can also be in the lineup. Or maybe down the road even Adley or Basallo take turns playing 1B to keep their hot bats in the lineup. Just wondering if having an anchor at 1B means another good bat is on the bench. 

Interesting to think about.

Edited by Answerman

57 minutes ago, Answerman said:

"Just because every guy can play 1b, doesn't mean that the team is better when they do."

This is an interesting comment. In fact, I wonder if we are indeed better keeping 1B as an open position, allowing the manager flexibility to get more bats in the lineup against a certain pitcher based on match ups, history, etc. Somebody mentioned not wanting Urias there, but he was kinda the hero last night. O'Hearn has been a wonderful matchup. Santander's bat has been useful. Keeping in mind that putting these guys at 1B means another bat is in their usual position. So when Santander is at 1B, maybe that means both Cowser and Hays can also be in the lineup. Or maybe down the road even Adley or Basallo take turns playing 1B to keep their hot bats in the lineup. Just wondering if having an anchor at 1B means another good bat is on the bench. 

Interesting to think about.

My ideal infield scenario for the next 5 - 7 years is 1b Mayo, 2b Westburg, SS Holliday, 3b Henderson, DH / C Basallo, C / DH Rutschman and two of Ortiz, Norby, Wagner and Prieto on the bench. If O'hearn keeps hitting he would keep 1b / DH warm until Mayo & Basallo are ready.

This will keep the payroll really tight in the next few years, allowing the O's to pick up 1 - 2 TOR starters in Free Agency instead of via trades.

I understand why we're using DH / 1b as a way to rotate players around today when we have a bit of a logjam in the outfield and a bit of a logjam in the infield and Hyde wants to keep everybody involved.

But I don't think we're going to resign Santander or Mullins and I think Mateo, Frazier and Urias will be gone this year or next. Once that glut of players is gone, I hope Hyde will pencil Mayo in at 1b pretty much every day, instead of using it like he is now.

I think if we're trading for a stud pitcher who is controllable, then Mayo does make sense.  I think Kjerstad should be the 1B of the future bc of the LH bat.

I'm not saying we should make a huge splash, but if we did, I would rather send Mayo, Ortiz, Norby, Basallo, Stowers, Prieto, etc than Holliday, Cowser, Kjerstad, Westburg

I also don't mind if we keep them all, but you can only play 9 at a time. Postional depth is important, but we need to find a TOR, especially if we aren't going to spend on Free Agent pitching

33 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

I think if we're trading for a stud pitcher who is controllable, then Mayo does make sense.  I think Kjerstad should be the 1B of the future bc of the LH bat.

I'm not saying we should make a huge splash, but if we did, I would rather send Mayo, Ortiz, Norby, Basallo, Stowers, Prieto, etc than Holliday, Cowser, Kjerstad, Westburg

I also don't mind if we keep them all, but you can only play 9 at a time. Postional depth is important, but we need to find a TOR, especially if we aren't going to spend on Free Agent pitching

Yes, I think Kjerstad/Mayo is the 1B of the future.  Obviously only 1 can play there.  I wouldn't be surprised if one of them is trade this trade deadline or offseason if Elias finds the right deal.  The O's just have too many positional prospects to keep.  That's a good problem to have especially with the O's shortage of quality pitching.  Obviously the O's have some very good pitchers, including Bautista, Wells and Bradish, just not enough to get far in the playoffs.

I'm looking at the starting pitching landscape and the kind of pitcher you'd want for Mayo is pitching for a playoff contender.

Bryce Elder is in Atlanta

Zac Gallen is in Arizona

Logan Webb, San Francisco

Jesus Luzardo, Miami

Alexis Diaz, Cincinnati (first place!)

Framber Valdez, Houston

Shane McClanahan, Tampa Bay

Bailey Ober, Minnesota (we just saw him again)

George Kirby, Seattle

...none of those guys are getting moved unless maaaaaaaybe in the off season.  That's a small chance.  So it's more likely you'll see a "lesser" prospect or two traded for a not-as-desirable playoff caliber starting pitcher.  A guy like Lucas Giolito is a good option, but he shouldn't cost a Mayo level player.

• 2 months later...