2023 Comp Round B (#63): Jackson Baumeister - RHP - (So) Florida State (FL)

Fangraphs doesn't have him explicitly ranked (they only have a top-68 or so, running through guys with a 40+ grade or better). They had him as "College Pitcher #21" within the unranked tier with an overall prospect grade of 35+, though, just behind our buddy Nolan McLean, and wrote this:

Came to Florida State with a lot of profile and ran an ERA over 5.00. Draft-eligible soph, body has mostly matured, still has a lovely and athletic move down the mound with impressive flexibility in the lower half. Arm stroke is often late, head whack adds to relief risk. Flat, rising heater with plus life in the 92-94 range most of the time, up to 96. Mid-70s curveball has monster depth. No real performance track record to speak of here, bullpen risk because of the delivery and college walk rates, but still really interesting because of what his lower body is doing throughout his delivery, the traits on his fastball, and the natural snap his curveball has. A late-blooming college relief prospect.

Edited by BohKnowsBmore

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Is Baumeister the highest-drafted pitcher of the Elias era?  If so, the O’s must really believe in his upside.  

He is.  McLean was pick 81 last year and the previous high.  Prior to the Taveras and Baumler were after 100.  Could be a confluence of belief in the upside and stability of the O's pipeline?  

A pitcher on the first day is a first with Elias in the front office.

“We’ve been monitoring Jackson for a while now, ever since high school,” Ciolek said. “We’ve always liked the arm that he’s had. He runs it up to 98, sits at 93-94. I think the thing that really made us intrigued with Jackson is how the fastball plays. We think we can maximize his arsenal by having him pitch further up in the zone with his fastball.

“He also has a complete repertoire as far as a starting pitcher is concerned. A sweepy slider that is conducive to getting chases for right-handed hitters. Curveball is a little bit of a softer breaker but we think we can add some velocity to improve that. And we’re also going to look to up his repetition of his changeup. So, just really intrigued overall as far as the arm strength and the secondary weapons are concerned.”

Ciolek on draft picks, and notes on All-Star Game - Blog (masnsports.com)

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

• 86this changed the title to 2023 Comp Round B (#63): Jackson Baumeister - RHP - (So) Florida State (FL)

Nothing on Baumeister signing yet.  With Bragg signed (@$100K), O's have a Pool Allocation of $ 1,878,100 remaining.  Baumeister slot value is $1,243,300.  So they have $634,800 to play with without exceeding their draft allocation.

FYI- Their 5% taxable overage is  $526,740.  They didn't go over last year (2022), even with the Carter Young signing.  So they probably will not go over in 2023 either.

2 minutes ago, OriolesFan1964 said:

Nothing on Baumeister signing yet.  With Bragg signed (@$100K), O's have a Pool Allocation of $ 1,878,100 remaining.  Baumeister slot value is $1,243,300.  So they have $634,800 to play with without exceeding their draft allocation.

FYI- Their 5% taxable overage is  $526,740.  They didn't go over last year (2022), even with the Carter Young signing.  So they probably will not go over in 2023 either.

I believe they did go over last year.

For 2022, I was going by SPOTRAC which lists O's estimated Tax Bill as $0.  They list original Draft Pool as 16.933 MM, Pool Allocation as $16.906, Pool Remaining as $27,400.  BUT I don't think they properly accounted for McLean not signing ($794K to Draft Pool lost).  

So I guess I agree.  MLB.com doesn't list TAX.

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think they went over the allotment but ended up spending less than their initial pool.

I don't think they've gone over and signed everyone in the top 10 rounds in the same year.

This is also my understanding.

For 2022 Draft I stand corrected about O's not going over for the Carter Young and Zach Showalter bonuses.  Interested in seeing what the O's did last year, to see what they might do in '23 with Baumeister, Forret, and Ritchie.  

In '22 they accumulated $748K in net underslot/overslot savings round 1-10 signings.  Their pool minus McLean ($794K) was $16.14MM.  So if they used max 5% bonuses over their pool value they could have spent an additional $807K (subject to the 75% penalty tax).  This gave the O's an additional $1.55MM ($748K+$807K) to negotiate with.  Looks like they used almost all of it $1.20MM to Young and $315K to Showalter over and above the $125K signing value for those picks.  So they used $1.515MM of the $ 1.55MM available.  $767K would have been subject to the 75% tax.  I could find no articles or posts to confirm this.

For Baumeister, Forret, and Ritchie it looks like they can go above slot $634K (underslot savings) + $526K (subject to %5 penalty) for a total above slot figure of $1.16MM.  Baumeister slot is 1.24MM, Forret and Ritchie 150K.

Be interesting to see how much of the pot Baumeister takes and what $'s are left to get either (or both) Forret and Ritchie.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, OriolesFan1964 said:

For 2022 Draft I stand corrected about O's not going over for the Carter Young and Zach Showalter bonuses.  Interested in seeing what the O's did last year, to see what they might do in '23 with Baumeister, Forret, and Ritchie.  

In '22 they accumulated $748K in net underslot/overslot savings round 1-10 signings.  Their pool minus McLean ($794K) was $16.14MM.  So if they used max 5% bonuses over their pool value they could have spent an additional $807K (subject to the 75% penalty tax).  This gave the O's an additional $1.55MM ($748K+$807K) to negotiate with.  Looks like they used almost all of it $1.20MM to Young and $315K to Showalter over and above the $125K signing value for those picks.  So they used $1.515MM of the $ 1.55MM available.  $767K would have been subject to the 75% tax.  I could find no articles or posts to confirm this.

For Baumeister, Forret, and Ritchie it looks like they can go above slot $634K (underslot savings) + $526K (subject to %5 penalty) for a total above slot figure of $1.16MM.  Baumeister slot is 1.24MM, Forret and Ritchie 150K.

Be interesting to see how much of the pot Baumeister takes and what $'s are left to get either (or both) Forret and Ritchie.

If Baumeister doesn't sign, I believe the 5% overage figure would be reduced to $462K.  I tell you what, I'd be tempted to make one last phone call to Witt's agent and offer $1,246,000, which would be the max we could offer him without giving up a draft pick.  He'd be the biggest possible prize of the remaining unsigned draft picks, IMO.  We pulled it off wit Carter Young last year.  Just sayin'.

6 hours ago, Number5 said:

If Baumeister doesn't sign, I believe the 5% overage figure would be reduced to $462K.  I tell you what, I'd be tempted to make one last phone call to Witt's agent and offer $1,246,000, which would be the max we could offer him without giving up a draft pick.  He'd be the biggest possible prize of the remaining unsigned draft picks, IMO.  We pulled it off wit Carter Young last year.  Just sayin'.

This is where you have to understand that the landscape is changing in College sports. This kid is likely the Friday night starter next year for the Longhorns. $1.2 M may not be all that enticing. His agent might just put Brad Ciolak on ignore while he negotiates a 6 figure NIL deal with the Texas One Fund.

https://www.burntorangenation.com/platform/amp/2022/11/10/23451763/texas-one-fund-longhorns-athletics-nil