Injury rehabbing players could determine Elias deadline moves

wildcard

13 minutes ago, LTO's said:

Ok whether or not you think those guys are just extra players, they are definitely going to impact things. It's incredibly stupid to think otherwise. 

People keep throwing out words like “stupid” and “dumbass” like a difference of opinion is in some way indicative of their intelligence. Sorry you disagree, but other than those initial 6 pitchers I mentioned, there aren’t any difference makers unless something significant changes in their ability to get major league hitters out. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

Nobody wants to see that except Wildcard. 

To get a starter the caliber of Wells or Bradish Elias may have to give up a Kjerstad, Cowser, Westburg or Ortiz.   He may not want to do that.  There are players with 6 years of team control that will probably be everyday position players.

That's why he will consider what the O's minors and rehab players can offer the team.

So far the O's are in 2nd place in the AL with what they have.   There is a lot to consider.  I can't say what Elias will do.  I think he will be considering all 19 in house players.

As I have said I am in favor on trading Stowers, Norby, Haskin.   But I don't know that will bring back the kind of starter some posters want to add.

Edited by wildcard

34 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I said they could be factors. That is different than relying on them. I don't see anything in wildcard's post to suggest relying on them. And like I said, they should not preclude us from upgrading the team. Did anyone say we should pass on players performing now? I did not. 

The title and premise of the post? 

36 minutes ago, LTO's said:

Ok whether or not you think those guys are just extra players, they are definitely going to impact things. It's incredibly stupid to think otherwise. 

So, you believe that Elias will pass on pitching upgrades because of the injured/rehabbing guys?

Edited by Sports Guy

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

To get a starter the caliber of Wells or Bradish Elias may have to give up a Kjerstad, Cowser, Westburg or Ortiz.   He may not want to do that.  There are players with 6 years of team control that will probably be everyday position players.

That's why he will consider what the O's minors and rehab players can offer the team.

So far the O's are in 2nd place in the AL with what they have.   There is a lot to consider.  I can't say what Elias will do.  I think he will be considering all 19 in house players.

What 19 players? The title of your post is about injury rehabbing players and if they could impact the deadline for the Os.

We have 19 guys on the IL that you think could impact that?

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

No, none of them. They aren’t good enough or reliable enough for it to impact anything for 2023 and a run at a WS. The need for a starter is there with or without Means (although I definitely could see them passing on a starter)

The need for legit back end arms doesn’t change as we hope Perez regains 2022 form or Tate/Givens get healthy and produce.  

None of these guys currently profile as pitchers to rely on, so no, you don’t stop yourself from making a move because of any of these guys.

I essentially agree with you.   If we are making any deadline moves, they shouldn't be moves that just add depth at the quality of pitcher we already have.  They should be upgrades, guys who slot in the top 3 of either our rotation or our bullpen.  

Just now, Frobby said:

I essentially agree with you.   If we are making any deadline moves, they shouldn't be moves that just add depth at the quality of pitcher we already have.  They should be upgrades, guys who slot in the top 3 of either our rotation or our bullpen.  

Of course. We don’t need to add a new 6th man in the pen. You aren’t going to stop at acquiring a top BP arm because Hall may find his velo or Tate May all of a sudden find 2022 again. I mean, isn’t that obvious? 

I actually do think them not trading for a starter is a very real possibility. 

14 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

What 19 players? The title of your post is about injury rehabbing players and if they could impact the deadline for the Os.

We have 19 guys on the IL that you think could impact that?

Read the OP.  It is very clear who the 19 players are.  I even highlighted them.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Then there is Means schedule to be back in August.   That is 8.  So even if GRod and Wells need to head to the pen to conserve innings, the O's may have starter answers in house.

For me, anything we get out of John Means this year will be found money at this point.  I just read that he is starting a rehab assignment in Aberdeen shortly, so I guess you are right that he could return to the big club in August.  But it's hard to know how effectively he will be, or what role he could play for the O's.   It would be great if he were able to help down the stretch.

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Of course. We don’t need to add a new 6th man in the pen. You aren’t going to stop at acquiring a top BP arm because Hall may find his velo or Tate May all of a sudden find 2022 again. I mean, isn’t that obvious? 

I actually do think them not trading for a starter is a very real possibility. 

So do I, because there aren't many quality starters who are likely to be on the market.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

For me, anything we get out of John Means this year will be found money at this point.  I just read that he is starting a rehab assignment in Aberdeen shortly, so I guess you are right that he could return to the big club in August.  But it's hard to know how effectively he will be, or what role he could play for the O's.   It would be great if he were able to help down the stretch.

Elias has 20 days before the trade deadline to figure that out.   

8 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Depends on the cost in prospects and money of the pitching upgrade.

That’s not the question I asked you. It’s always possible that they pass on guys because of cost. I’m asking if you actually believe the injury/rehab guys will be the reason he says no and stands Pat?

Just now, wildcard said:

Elias has 20 days before the trade deadline to figure that out.   

I don't think he will have a full answer on Means by then.   He'll probably have at most 4 rehab games by then and won't be fully built up.