Perez needs to be replaced with a legit backend arm and then our bullpen is:

Bautista
Cano
[Replacement for Perez]
Fujinami
Coulombe
Baker
Irvin

If we got an established LHP I'd really like our rounded out bullpen. Maybe Raley from NYM or Suter from COL

Bautista

Cano

Raley/Suter

Fujinami

Coulombe

Baker

Irvin

Edited by G54377
  • Upvote 1

A couple of years ago, the 2023 version of Easton Lucas would absolutely have cracked the bullpen, and he was working his way into conversation as a guy to try in our rotational bullpen spot (Gillaspie, Vespi, Bazardo, etc). The thing is we're trying to eliminate that rotational spot as we head towards the playoffs. Gillaspie is now out and replaced with a guy with Felix-level Stuff+. 

Now we have to replace Perez, who instantly becomes the last man in the bullpen not counting the long man Irvin. 

Would the Orioles have added Lucas to the 40-man this offseason? Highly doubt. And with his good numbers he probably gets claimed by someone like Oakland. So you use him or lose him. It's a great use of resources. And a great job by the development staff turning a flier for Villar into a 100-mph bullpen arm in a playoff race. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Brooks Raley might be more cost effective if you can convince the Mets to trade. They need bullpen help too.

What's the story with Raley? I see he has a 7-year gap in his ML career lol. That's wild. 35 and arbitration eligible next year.

If I am not mistaken, we would lose Lucas anyway this year in the Rule 5 draft- he'd be eligible to be taken and probably we have 40 other guys we'd need to protect.  Lots of teams would be willing to take a shot at a Lefty reliever with a 95 MPH fastball in the rule 5 draft.

So we get a 2 month rental of a potential quality back end reliever for a guy who'd likely be gone anyway...

Like Fujinama, but don't be overly wowed by the 100 MPH.  Scouts say it's very flat and straight.  My son plays 18U travel and I've seen him flail helplessly at 85 MPH fastballs with crazy movement and crush an 89 MPH fastball that was flat and straight...

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

That's grinding. Pretty cool. But I think we can do better. I'm a little gun-shy about a 35 year old suddenly having a 2 ERA and keeping that going deep into the playoffs. Unless of course we just don't give up a whole lot. 

51 minutes ago, interloper said:

That's grinding. Pretty cool. But I think we can do better. I'm a little gun-shy about a 35 year old suddenly having a 2 ERA and keeping that going deep into the playoffs. Unless of course we just don't give up a whole lot. 

Well he does have postseason experience which none of our pitchers do. Pretty good success aside from one disasterous 1/3 inning against CWS. and he would be under control for at least next year (?). We could probably get him for relatively little compared to say Hader.

6 minutes ago, G54377 said:

Well he does have postseason experience which none of our pitchers do. Pretty good success aside from one disasterous 1/3 inning against CWS. and he would be under control for at least next year (?). We could probably get him for relatively little compared to say Hader.

A 35-year old reliever with 1 more year of control and basically 2 good years in the MLs is an interesting thing to try and figure out value for. I could see Hyde valuing an older guy like this in the bullpen when he needs a trustworthy guy. 

Maybe someone like Brnovich or Zimmermann would get it most of the way done? Controllable pitchers with relief floors? Toss in a upside-y low A guy? Am I way undershooting it? I'm bad at this. 

Edited by interloper