Magic Number !!

vab

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, Uli2001 said:

Congrats to vab for opening this thread back in July! That's fan faith.

I actually started it as a joke. I never really thought they would stay in first every day for the rest of the season after they took sole possession but damned if they didn't. Amazing!!

• Like 2

Miguel Tejada

Okay, technically no Oriole has ever worn #0.  But I had to include this photo of shortstop Miguel Tejada (see #10) from April 10, 2005.  Miggy slid head-first into home plate at Yankee Stadium, and when he got back to his feet, the "1" on the front of his jersey had started to peel off.  He bit the bullet and played the rest of the game wearing only "0" on the front.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Number5 said:

Miguel Tejada

Okay, technically no Oriole has ever worn #0.  But I had to include this photo of shortstop Miguel Tejada (see #10) from April 10, 2005.  Miggy slid head-first into home plate at Yankee Stadium, and when he got back to his feet, the "1" on the front of his jersey had started to peel off.  He bit the bullet and played the rest of the game wearing only "0" on the front.

What a factoid!

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Just need to go 11-8 to a championship 

That makes it look a lot easier than it is. If you start out going 0 and 3 or 1 and 4 in the first series, you go home, but during the regular season you still have a good chance at an 11-8 record over that span.

3 minutes ago, Malike said:

That makes it look a lot easier than it is. If you start out going 0 and 3 or 1 and 4 in the first series, you go home, but during the regular season you still have a good chance at an 11-8 record over that span.

Yeah, I know . That's the key, when you get those wins. 😁

16 minutes ago, Malike said:

Jeep Winning! 

Is that thread still on here somewhere? 

43 minutes ago, Malike said:

An odd anomaly: the O’s have never won a playoff series that went down to the final possible game.  Their three World Series wins were 4-0, 4-1 and 4-1.  Their ALCS wins were 3-0, 3-0, 3-0, 3-1, and 3-1.   Their ALDS wins were 3-1, 3-1 and 3-0.   So in the 11 playoff series they’ve won, they had a collective 36-6 record.  

But, they’ve lost several series that went to the final possible game: 3-4 vs. the Pirates in both ‘71 and ‘79, 2-3 vs. the A’s in the ‘73 ALCS, and 2-3 against the Yankees in the 2012 ALDS.

This bit of history won’t be lost on me if we find ourselves playing in the ultimate game of a series this year.

Edited by Frobby
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

An odd anomaly: the O’s have never won a playoff series that went down to the final possible game.  Their three World Series wins were 4-0, 4-1 and 4-1.  Their ALCS wins were 3-0, 3-0, 3-0, 3-1, and 3-1.   Their ALDS wins were 3-1, 3-1 and 3-0.   So in the 11 playoff series they’ve won, they had a collective 36-6 record.  

But, they’ve lost several series that went to the final possible game: 3-4 vs. the Pirates in both ‘71 and ‘79, 2-3 vs. the A’s in the ‘73 ALCS, and 2-3 against the Yankees in the 2012 ALDS.

This bit of history won’t be lost on me if we find ourselves playing in the ultimate game of a series this year.

Wow, that I didn't know. Good information!

That's occurred to me over the years too, and I think one of the byproducts of it is there's basically a vacancy for any kind of singular great championship moment for the franchise.    '83 had Tito Landrum, and Boddicker twice standing strong in 0-1 situations, but nothing super iconic.     The '66 pitching and '70 defense were body of work outputs.

Its some of why I think Delmon's moment has played so big in fan consciousness.

With good fortune in a few weeks something magic will happen to get that reclassified small potatoes.    

On 9/29/2023 at 9:26 AM, Frobby said:

Are we going to start one at 162 next year?

Actually I believe it would start at 156. Because if we win 156 that assures us that we defeat each A.L. East foe a minimum of seven times each since we play them all 13 times each and we would only have six losses.