Sunday afternoon July 23: O's go for Series win vs. the Rays

FlaO'sFan

6 minutes ago, LA2 said:

Have you been introduced yet to the concept of matching hitters against pitchers (and vice versa)?

Of course I have.  I also tend to think that in many of those cases the SS is so small as to not be incredibly relevant.  Plus, when talking about someone like Mateo, his overall OPS versus LHP is elevated due to how awesome he was mashing them the first 6-8 weeks of the season, and hasn't been nearly as good over the past 6 weeks or so.  I put more weight in recent success (or the lack thereof) versus what he was doing in April and May.  

1 minute ago, Roy Firestone said:

Im not confident with Cano right now...he's giving up a lot of hits...and not getting K's

3.24 ERA this month but with a .906 OPS.  That thing is going to go up more at this rate and that's only this month.

4 minutes ago, NashLumber said:

I'm always skeptical of the TV box strike zones as they're overlayed the way they are. The defined strike zone from the rulebook, ie.

"
The official strike zone is the area over home plate from the midpoint between a batter's shoulders and the top of the uniform pants-  when the batter is in his stance and prepared to swing at a pitched ball -- and a point just below the kneecaps"

is a few inches higher than what I've typically seen on TV sketched in boxes. With that in mind, anytime I see a high strike called, I don't quibble too much. For one thing, the top of the zone is closer to the ump's line of sight. It's the low strikes that are probably more in question as they're called. 

Thanks for sharing. A long time ago some said it used to be between the armpits and the knees so seeing the official rule shows me it's actually a lower strike zone. The width of the TV box seems a little too thin.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, NashLumber said:

I'm always skeptical of the TV box strike zones as they're overlayed the way they are. The defined strike zone from the rulebook, ie.

"
The official strike zone is the area over home plate from the midpoint between a batter's shoulders and the top of the uniform pants-  when the batter is in his stance and prepared to swing at a pitched ball -- and a point just below the kneecaps"

is a few inches higher than what I've typically seen on TV sketched in boxes. With that in mind, anytime I see a high strike called, I don't quibble too much. For one thing, the top of the zone is closer to the ump's line of sight. It's the low strikes that are probably more in question as they're called. 

When the robo umps come, one of the things we will be arguing about is the motivations of the folks drawing the TV box, and more arcanely how the error bars should be different in low humidity vs high humidity situations.

Edited by Chavez Ravine