Orioles related trade rumors and speculation leading up to the deadline

Roll Tide

Just now, Pickles said:

Oh, I think any trade we make the majority of the board is going to label it an "overpay."  Elias alluded to that when he mentioned the O's are "willing to stretch."

For me, I'm more concerned about who we give up than who we get, in a way.

I do not want to give up anybody above Norby.

If we give up an Ortiz/Mayo/Kjerstaad we better be getting back a cost controlled starter.

I completely agree.   A small stretch is okay, not a blatant overpay.  Rather use the big prospects to get a younger arm and/or a back end BP arm with control.    Not ruling rentals out... just... has to be a smart price.   I've looked at the other trades so far and none of them are "That move MAKES them favorites".    I don't think we need to make that kind of move either.  Just strengthen the rotation and bp.   No reason to go crazy

We'll see what happens, but in the past when reports come out about the Orioles getting involved late with a trade, it rarely ever comes to fruition. In fact, it almost always feels like a way to garner more clicks and engagement. Everyone loves a mystery team and a last minute underdog.

And then he'll go to the Dodgers or whatever. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, dystopia said:

Trading someone like Mayo for a starter under control for several years would be a great move IMO considering our infield log jam. Not all of them will have the opportunity to play in Baltimore. 

You don't trade guys like Mayo who are so young and have advanced so far.  Those are the guys that can become superstars.  You better get a potential superstar back.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Keygans said:

I completely agree.   A small stretch is okay, not a blatant overpay.  Rather use the big prospects to get a younger arm and/or a back end BP arm with control.    Not ruling rentals out... just... has to be a smart price.   I've looked at the other trades so far and none of them are "That move MAKES them favorites".    I don't think we need to make that kind of move either.  Just strengthen the rotation and bp.   No reason to go crazy

Unless they find other Fujinami types of moves, getting a middle/back end rotation guy or a name reliever is going to be just as much of an overpay in my mind.

If most people are going to think that the O's overpaid for any trades (and who doesn't overpay at the deadline?), then most people should be happy if the O's stand pat. Which I don't think would be the case.

44 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The second part of what Rosenthal said:

The failure by Elias to make a significant move likely would draw criticism, but not necessarily in his own clubhouse. The Orioles are so young and confident, some of the older heads around the team believe the players would react to a quiet deadline with a shrug.

Criticsim from the same bozo's that offered it on our offseason non-moves... yet here we are.  

17 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m not saying Verlander would decline it..but I just wouldn’t be surprised if he did. 

People are way too hung up on the merits of Baltimore vs. the merits of the competing cities.  Houston is a place where he has ties, knows the club, knows the manager, and has had a home. That is a big edge.  L.A. is a team with nearly unlimited funds and offers a lot of what NY has to offer to celebrities.  It's fine to say that Baltimore might have some trouble competing when it's Verlander that controls his destiny.  

The idea that a professional athlete is going to be scared to play in Baltimore is just silly though.  They won't be anywhere near any sort of trouble, just like they wouldn't in any other city that they played at.  I have never heard of an athlete leaving Baltimore because it was too rundown or dangerous.  

2 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

This made me laugh. But also something to keep in mind as we sift through the Christmas Day of baseball misinformation. 

I heard he’s in the owner’s box at the Ravens stadium. They keep asking him to leave since no game is being played. Stay tuned for the potential trespassing arrest. 

4 minutes ago, baltfan said:

You don't trade guys like Mayo who are so young and have advanced so far.  Those are the guys that can become superstars.  You better get a potential superstar back.  

Yeah I’m thinking like a Gilbert type. 

Sure Mayo could be a superstar, and if you think he’s better than some of our other infield prospects like Ortiz then that’s fine, trade Ortiz instead. But you have Henderson and Westburg already taking up 2 of the 4 infield spots for the foreseeable future. Jackson Holliday is another future infield mainstay. At some point you have to trade somebody. 

3 minutes ago, dzorange said:

Unless they find other Fujinami types of moves, getting a middle/back end rotation guy or a name reliever is going to be just as much of an overpay in my mind.

If most people are going to think that the O's overpaid for any trades (and who doesn't overpay at the deadline?), then most people should be happy if the O's stand pat. Which I don't think would be the case.

I think most people are going to complain no matter what.

Welcome to baseball fandom.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

This made me laugh. But also something to keep in mind as we sift through the Christmas Day of baseball misinformation. 

I heard he was in the owner's suite last night watching the game against Toronto on the big screen.

Just now, George Zuverink said:

My totally made up hypothesis is that if Baltimore as a location becomes a sticking point, it will be more with his super model wife than Justin himself.

How many ball players/professional athletes actually live in the city that they play in?

Highly unlikely they move into a high rise at the Harbor or buy a row home in Federal Hill. 

They will be living in a gated community in one of the surrounding Counties, like others.  I don't think the condition of Baltimore City figures in.  I live in Washington, DC (which is a more desirable city to live in by comparison) and most of the professional athletes here live out in Loudoun County, more than 30 miles away.  

Bottom line, athletes aren't going to be living in the inner city.  Verlander spent years playing for Detroit.  This is a non-factor IMO.  He may not want to go to the O's for other reasons.