Orioles related trade rumors and speculation leading up to the deadline

Roll Tide

2 minutes ago, sevastras said:

One good year and everyone loves Cease. Might as well be Ubaldo Jiménez if you ask me. One good year and league averageish the rest of the career. 

That's not giving Cease enough credit. This is the third straight year he's been very, very good.

1 minute ago, interloper said:

LOL. How many times can these guys tweet the same thing? It's honestly incredible. 

"ChatGPT, take the contents of my last statement and reword it slightly in a new statement of approximately the same length."

*COPY*

*PASTE*

*POST*

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

bWAR is the inferior WAR, as has been discussed here a lot.

A lot of his value is no doubt tied into his glove.

FG has him worth over 12M right now with a 1.5 WAR.  I said on pace for a 2+ WAR season and up to 20M. That’s not 10M per win. A win is around 8M or so.

Either way, he is worth his contract and isn’t having some awful year. 

Even last year, his OAA was on par with Mateo. He’s an elite defensive player.

Like I said, it's the most charitable take possible of DeJong and clearly not a consensus one.

But there's no need to parse DeJong's value too much.  It's a very uninteresting topic.

10 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'd wanna keep Basallo, try to give them Povich and another arm and/or another position player.  

No way I give up Ortiz, Norby, and Basallo.  Too much for Cease.  I would move on, get a lesser arm and then use those guys to get better pieces in the winter.  

1 minute ago, dzorange said:

That's not giving Cease enough credit. This is the third straight year he's been very, very good.

Last year was the only year he was “very very good”. 4.13 ERA this year with a 1.34 WHIP. If the White Sox can’t be objective about him we should tell them to go pound sand. 

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Orioles are built for the future and aren’t in a position to go for it now because their core of players are about to be free agents or washed up.

Elias isn’t going to make a desperate trade to chase a pennant this year. This isn’t the 2017 Orioles grasping at one last chance (and failing) to sneak into the playoffs. 

Over pay no, but they have valuable prospects who have almost no chance at playing time on the MLB roster. Ortiz is 25 and even if he does play this year or next, you also have Norby, Holliday, that may or may not be better and younger. 

Cease does scare me with the walks and high pitch counts/low innings per start, but perhaps we can help him with some minor adjustments that pays dividends. Elias seems to value stuff above else, and Cease is as good as there is in that department. We've done it with others. 

3 minutes ago, sevastras said:

One good year and everyone loves Cease. Might as well be Ubaldo Jiménez if you ask me. One good year and league averageish the rest of the career. 

His FIP last year was 3.10.  This year it's 3.57.  I agree that we shouldn't pay for him like he's a 2.20 ERA guy like last year, but I also wouldn't treat him like he's just some guy.  He's still striking out 10.8 per 9 and we'd have him for his age 27, 28, and 29 seasons.

• Upvote 1