Gunnar’s back

Sports Guy

He should stop lunging for first. I feel like I've seen him do that a bunch of times. I'm not the biggest fan of guys sliding into first since it makes it difficult to make the turn if the ball is overthrown, but that's much safer than that awkward motion of slamming his foot down on the bag from midair.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

If Gunnar is not healthy ready to play tomorrow then Ortiz needs to be in Philly. I am done with Mateo getting playing time. 

Ortiz is 3-3 tonight. He is hitting 344 and has a 979 OPS and plays as good or better defense than Mateo.

The only legit reason to keep Mateo goes back to what Elias talked about w/r/t the trade deadline. That they are looking for the best roster to win and they feel that this is the best roster in terms of having his speed there.

There is some semblance of logic there but he’s largely a complete waste.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Mateo has gotta go. 

If Gunnar has to go on the IL then I guess that's a reprieve for Mateo, but one way or another Ortiz needs to move ahead of Mateo for playing time.   Mateo isn't anything special as a shortstop defensively this year.  Aside from costing us the game tonight, he's failed to make a number of plays in game situations in recent weeks, and I honestly can't remember the last time he made a gem.  

8 minutes ago, Alasdaire said:

He should stop lunging for first. I feel like I've seen him do that a bunch of times. I'm not the biggest fan of guys sliding into first since it makes it difficult to make the turn if the ball is overthrown, but that's much safer than that awkward motion of slamming his foot down on the bag from midair.

Agree, I have seen him do it a couple times before tonight. I love the hustle, but the risk/reward gap is too great.

1 minute ago, Pat Kelly said:

Mateo will be DFAd Thursday.  Off day, Ortiz up. Elias will make the call.  

No chance.  Not gonna happen.  If Gunnar is day to day, nothing happens.  If they decide to IL Gunnar, Ortiz probably gets the call.

• Upvote 1