A little worried about the offense

interloper

No Mullins, no Hicks, no Gunnar. Without Gunnar and Mullins, the offense right now is centered around Adley, Santander, O'Hearn, and Hays. Sometimes Frazier, Urias, and Mounty do stuff. To the extent that Westburg or Cowser contribute offensively, it feels like a bonus because how could you expect much more of them this early in their careers. All of this feels a little dicey to me. 

Every single game is close. We don't hit a lot of home runs. We're crossing our fingers with Cowser and Westburg in the heat of a playoff race. It's exciting, sure, but stressful. This team could really use another ML hitter in the mix and I think it's an underrated need right now. It's a lot to ask of some of these guys - even guys like Adley and Gunnar - to continue to carry a playoff-caliber team offensively against the type of pitching we're facing. 

This is a team that will be asked to go toe-to-toe with true offensive juggernauts like the Braves and Dodgers who have playoff-tested veteran hitters. Obviously the pitching is a bigger need, but if I were Elias I would not rest on my laurels offensively. 

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, interloper said:

No Mullins, no Hicks, no Gunnar. Without Gunnar and Mullins, the offense right now is centered around Adley, Santander, O'Hearn, and Hays. Sometimes Frazier and Urias do stuff. To the extent that Westburg or Cowser contribute offensively, it feels like a bonus because how could you expect much more of them this early in their careers. All of this feels a little dicey to me. 

Every single game is close. We don't hit a lot of home runs. We're crossing our fingers with Cowser and Westburg in the heat of a playoff race. It's exciting, sure, but stressful. This team could really use another ML hitter in the mix and I think it's an underrated need right now. It's a lot to ask of some of these guys - even guys like Adley and Gunnar - to continue to carry a playoff-caliber team offensively against the type of pitching we're facing. 

This is a team that will be asked to go toe-to-toe with true offensive juggernauts like the Braves and Dodgers who have playoff-tested veteran hitters. Obviously the pitching is a bigger need, but if I were Elias I would not rest on my laurels offensively.  

What you say is true but short term.   Gunnar is out for a couple of days.... we hope.  Hicks for 10-15 days. So he will probably be back.  Westburg and Cowser may take a month to 6 weeks to find their footing.    So by the playoffs the two rookies may be a good part of the offense.  We are hoping that Mullins is back in Sept and Oct. 

I don’t think Adley is the type of player to carry a team offensively. For us to reach where we all want to be, I am hoping he is the 3/4/5th best offensive guy we have. That will certainly take some time.

To your original point, now would really be a good time for scorching hot Ryan Mountcastle.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, wildcard said:

What you say is true but short term.   Gunnar is out for a couple of days.... we hope.  Hicks for 10-15 days. So he will probably be back.  Westburg and Cowser may take a month to 6 weeks to find their footing.    So by the playoffs the two rookies may be a good part of the offense.  We are hoping that Mullins is back in Sept and Oct. 

Yes, hopefully short-term. I had hoped everyone was interpreting Mullins' quote wrong, but it appears I might be mistaken about that. 

I still think there's plenty of room to add a bat to this offense. I want to give Westburg and Cowser all the rope they need, but man it's tough to assume the point at which they will find their footing. I think they will at some point, but we can't assume they will be on a Gunnar timeline. Everybody's different. 

Edited by interloper

O’Hearn has also been scorching the ball. Not just the hits and homers, but that guy has loud, loud outs. Last night he homered, but he also hit a very high fly to right that would have gone out if it was a bit more level, and hit another shot that was caught near the top of the center field fence. I really expected him to fade this month but it’s just not happening.

4 minutes ago, InsideCoroner said:

O’Hearn has also been scorching the ball. Not just the hits and homers, but that guy has loud, loud outs. Last night he homered, but he also hit a very high fly to right that would have gone out if it was a bit more level, and hit another shot that was caught near the top of the center field fence. I really expected him to fade this month but it’s just not happening.

It's a little scary to think where we'd be without O'Hearn. The other shoe has so far refused to drop. He's really been incredible. 

• Upvote 1

There could be an improvement with Hicks being replaced in the lineup. He has cooled off in July putting up a .637 OPS.

Gunnar's potential absence is what worries me the most. Even if you call up Ortiz or give Urias more at bats there is (likely) going to be a drop off in offensive production.

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

There could be an improvement with Hicks being replaced in the lineup. He has cooled off in July putting up a .637 OPS.

Gunnar's potential absence is what worries me the most. Even if you call up Ortiz or give Urias more at bats there is going to be a drop off in offensive production.

Absolutely a big drop off from Henderson to Mateo.   We really need Cowser to turn the corner.  That’s no sure thing but Cowser and Westburg could be a huge shot in the arm.  Westburg jacked one just foul last night. Cowser has been doing a little better but I sure would like to see his first ML homer and see him get on a roll.

23 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The team is in a little slump.  They’ve had other little slumps this year, but they usually haven’t lasted long.   I’m optimistic that this one won’t, either.  

In a slump, yet still 8-4 since the ASB while playing all playoff contenders.  I think we have a pretty decent team in Baltimore this year. 

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The team is in a little slump.  They’ve had other little slumps this year, but they usually haven’t lasted long.   I’m optimistic that this one won’t, either.  

Yeah, they aren't as bad as they've looked offensively the last few games. I do think it will improve. It starts with jettisoning Mateo so Hyde isn't tempted to start him vs LHP. That's one small improvement they can make right now. Offensively and defensively. 

Here's the guy I've been thinking about lately:

Jeimer Candelario (3B/1B/DH) - He's kind of like the infielder version of Santander. Switch-hitter, decent power numbers, but really only plays 3B. However, you could play an infield of Candelario 3B, Gunnar SS, Westburg/Frazier 2B. Urias is UTIL. Mateo is dumped. I kind of like it. The biggest problem? Realistically seeing the O's trading with the Nats. 

Edited by interloper

Adley being part of the 2nd inning flub last night (Gunnar too) was tough.    

This is year 1 of Baltimore August heat getting here, and there was no 8 week shoulder sprain this spring.     I hope his cup isn't as empty as Brad Brach's any given June, or perhaps Yennier Cano/Tyler Wells now, but I don't know that it isn't.

I kind of want Yasmani Grandal off the White Sox, plus then you could put McCann back where he earned his $40mm.    And of course re-adjudicate who is paying who what for the balance of the contract, as in any trade transaction.