Brandon Young 2023

Frobby

Brendan Young pitched a rehab start at Aberdeen last night: 3 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 5 K’s.   Accounts from those who watched:

RZNJ:  After one inning of his rehab start at Aberdeen, I already like this guy more than Povich.  Big and tall with nice mechanics.   94 mph fastball with a very nice looking 86 mph changeup.   No sign of breaking stuff yet.  I missed the 1st inning when he gave up 2 hits and a run.   

Hung one curve that was pulled foul but broke off a good one after that.   Can locate his 92-94 fastball and seems to have good ride on it.   I like him.

emmett16: Curve is 85/86.  From angle doesn’t look like a lot of movement on curve and change.  He his 95 a couple times but is effortlessly throwing 94.  He’s got the frame for sure.  He repeats his motion well.  Looks like he is locating the FB where he wants. In, out, up, down.  

RZNJ: Watching on Milb.tv, located changeup well, down.  Not much fade but enough downward movement to be effective.  Looked good to me.

emmet16: 

Was hoping to see him in the 4th.  He will be done after the delay.  He shoved in the 3rd.

5ks total in 3ip.  34 of 41 pitches for strikes.  Solid outing

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Young seems to be pretty much back up to speed.  His rehab included one FCL appearance, one at Delmarva, and three at Aberdeen.  He’s now thrown three games for Bowie, logging 5.0, 2.2 and 4.2 innings.  He threw 84 pitches in his last outing, allowing 1 run on 3 hits and a walk and striking out 7.  He should be able to pitch 2-3 more times before Bowie’s season ends on Sept. 17.

• 2 weeks later...

Young finished off his season today with 4 decent innings, 6 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 3 K’s. All in all, he was able to squeeze in 40 IP this summer, 25.1 at Bowie.  We’ll see if he goes to the AFL to augment his season.  Either way, I’d guess he starts next year at Bowie again but he could move to Norfolk pretty quickly.